Connections Education is a leading, fully-accredited provider of high-quality, highly accountable virtual education solutions for students in grades K–12. Connections Education is committed to expanding quality education through technology and helping students achieve both academic and personal success.
Since 2001, the company’s Connections Academy division has delivered individualized learning to students through virtual public schools and a private online academy. In the 2012-13 school year, 24 Connections Academy virtual public schools will operate in 22 states and expect to serve more than 45,000 students in grades K-12 (some schools do not serve all grades) from across the U.S.
The Connections Learning division meets the needs of schools, school districts, and other institutions looking to develop and enhance their online learning programs. Connections Learning delivers a full range of targeted digital learning solutions to the K-12 education community including online courses, a program for homebound students, a digital learning platform, and more. More than 300 schools, school districts, state departments of education and other educational institutions, serving tens of thousands of students throughout the U.S. and beyond, are already utilizing Connections Learning products and services.
Working from our Columbia office, the Database Developer II is part of a team responsible for the development of robust, scalable database structures and queries.
The individual in this position will be working with a team of developers, DBAs, designers, and testers. Due to the nature of this position, the applicant will need the ability to work from home or during off-hours as necessary. Candidates must have:
• A thorough understanding of database structures and query optimization
• Excellent SQL skills, with the ability to generate complex SQL queries from an entity-relationship diagram
• Excellent query tuning skills
• Experience designing schemas for OLTP databases
• Worked mainly in SQL Server development for at least four years
• An extremely detail-oriented work ethic
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to understand user requests and translate them into technical requirements
• High-speed Internet access at home and a personal computer
In addition, the ideal candidate will have:
• Worked with SQL Server 2008 and be familiar with the new data types, query constructions and features
• Experience developing for SQL Server Reporting Services
• Recently worked on databases with hundreds of tables, thousands of transactions per second, and/or thousands of simultaneous users (via application or Web pooled connections)
• Familiarity with C# and web application architecture
• Assists software developers with the creation and maintenance of robust, scalable database code, and evaluates new and existing code for performance and scalability. Mentors developers in writing better database code;
• Works on a self-managed Agile team to build and maintain our web-based Learning Management System;
• Enforces SQL standards and guidelines, and answers technical and procedural questions from team members;
• Develops requirements for and implements database projects;
• Responds to critical database-related problems after hours and on weekends;
• Maintains technical knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations;
• Accomplishes department and organization mission by completing related tasks as needed; and
• Other duties as assigned.
There's nothing fishy about information from Pearson, home of salmon-colored newspaper The Financial Times. The media giant operates...