Branch: Cowart Family/ Ashford Dunwoody YMCA
Supervisor: Aquatic Director
Under the direction of the Aquatics Director, the Swim Instructor will provide instruction and leadership for swim lessons in accordance with YMCA National Aquatic Program guidelines. This position must perform program responsibilities in accordance with the policies, goals, mission, values and objectives established by the Metropolitan Atlanta YMCA. This position may also be called upon to support the branch’s day camp program and is an opportunity for swim instructor to learn about ropes course work.
1. Current state approved CPR/first aid certification including AED , prior to first class.
2. YMCA certification as required for Aquatics program (YMCA Lifeguard or YASA); current in YMCA Fundamentals, Pre-School and Youth & Adult Instructor certifications.
3. Two or more years of experience participating in, or working with aquatics and swim lessons.
4. Ability to communicate effectively, motivate students and lead group & individual swim lessons.
5. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with participants, parents, volunteers and staff.
6. Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
7. Utilize the Metro Atlanta YMCA Aquatics teaching philosophies in the program.
8. Must be at least 16 years of age and pass the State of Georgia criminal background check.
ORGANIZATIONAL COMPETENCIES - Leader
Mission Advancement : Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports Partner With Youth Fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness : Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Arrive at least 15 minutes prior to class starting time. Be responsible for having necessary equipment and teaching tools in place prior to class, and for returning them after class.
2. Assume primary responsibility for safety of program participants in his/her class.
3. Maintain effective relationships with parents, participants/students, and pool site management.
4. The instructor is expected to have a prepared lesson plan when the class starts. In the event of illness or injury, the instructor’s responsibility is to find a replacement that meets YMCA qualifications and help the substitute prepare for their class.
5. Attend meetings and/or professional trainings as required / requested by program coordinator.
6. Maintain sign in/out sheets, attendance, class calendar, individual student records, and any other records as required by the branch. Student certificates should be completed and given out the final day of class.
7. Instructors must follow safety guidelines, lead by example in the risk management area and respond to and report all incidents and accidents.
8. Dress appropriate for YMCA swim environment.
1. Ability to lift/move, set up and store equipment and children weighing up to 50 pounds. Also, instructor needs to be able to demonstrate the specific skills required to show technical proficiency.
2. Must have physical ability to be certified as a lifeguard and swim instructor and to keep certifications current.
3. Must have physical ability to be certified as a lifeguard and swim instructor and to keep certifications current. Ability to move on pool deck, see the bottom of the pool and listen for signs of distress.
4. Must be physically able to activate 911 in an emergency and to administer CPR. Must be able to hear distress call in pool atmosphere.
5. Must be able to swim 200 yards/meters and tread water for two minutes.
To provide a safe, clean, controlled and fun environment in accordance with the Metro Atlanta YMCA Aquatics Philosophy.
Hours: Part-time, non-exempt
Salary: $7.95 - $10.60 per hour
Apply online at: press “Apply for this Position” or “Add to My Jobs” button below
Contact Phone: NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
CLOSING DATE: March 1, 2013
Metro Atlanta YMCA - 14 months ago