University of North Texas
Academic Advisor II
UNT's College of Visual Arts & Design is one of the nation's most comprehensive visual arts schools at a public university, and we are considered one of the best in the Southwest. Our college occupies 150,000 square feet of space in six buildings on campus with specialized classrooms, studios and computer labs.
In addition to our state of the art buildings, other assets include the University Art Gallery, the Visual Resources Collection, the Cora Stafford Gallery, the North Texas Institute for Educators on the Visual Arts, the Print Research Institute of North Texas and the Texas Fashion Collection. Also, with Denton sitting atop the "Golden Triangle" in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, we have access to the region's best art museums such as the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth and the Nasher Sculpture Center.
The Academic Advisor II will advise current students and prospective students concerning the College of Visual Arts and Design (CVAD) degree requirements. This position prepares and updates degree audits, degree plans, and advises undergraduate students in CVAD regarding degree requirements and academic policies. The Academic Advisor II will assist other CVAD Academic Advisors/Counselors with maintaining CVAD degree requirements in DARWin and the implementation of DARWin processes and audits. This position will work independently within established office policies and is under the immediate supervision of the CVAD Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs.
Job duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Prepare, update, and proof degree plans/audits
- Counsel student regarding degree requirements and evaluate transfer work to determine degree applicability
- Confer with faculty and the Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs regarding course substitutions
- Assist Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs in communicating with other Texas colleges and universities concerning course equivalences
- Process VA, ROTC, and other degree plans/audits
- Represent CVAD at functions such as Graduation, Preview Days, Academic Fairs, and UNT recruitment events at community colleges
- Advise students who are on probation regarding improving GPA, suggest a schedule of classes, check transcripts for course duplication, and gives advising codes
- Counsels suspended students regarding options, next eligible enrollment, and strategies for improving GPA
- Counsel students who request suspension waivers and students who are returning from academic suspension
- Work with Associate dean For Academic and Student Affairs in providing input for updating CVAD handouts
Bachelor's Degree and two years of experience in student affairs, student services, counseling, or professional academic advising. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
- Considerable knowledge of University policies and procedures related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate)
- Knowledge of Texas rules and regulations related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate)
- Strong presentation skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to work independently
- Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed
Position Number: 110246
- Experience in assisting undergraduate students in and academic setting
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Familiarity with UNT campus and academic climate
- Ability to work effectively with students, administrators, faculty, and staff
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Job Type: Full-time Permanent
For complete career opportunity or information on how to apply, please visit:
UNT is an AA/EOE/ADA.
Copyright ©2009 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
InsideHigherEd.com - 3 years ago