The New England Systems and Technology Group performs system-level design, installation, and maintenance of a broad range of applied systems and technologies with a focus on the transportation and security industries.
We are seeking an Information Technology (IT) technician to provide a wide range of support for a 24/7 Transportation Operations Center, as well as provide maintenance support for a variety of field-based Intelligent Transportation systems (ITS).
The duties of this position will be divided between supporting our senior electronics field technician and supporting our senior network Systems Administrator. The candidate will install, configure, administer and optimize servers, as well as troubleshoot and mainten field ITS equipment such as electronic signs, CCTV systems, radio, fiber optic, wireless and other communications equipment.
Working under direction from the Project Manager, candidate works independently to solve a variety of technical problems and make appropriate repairs.
· Position requires driving between worksites in Rhode Island.
- Install, configure, administer and optimize servers (hardware and operating systems), applications, and application distribution systems, and network devices such as routers and switches
- Implement and maintain system security and data recovery processes on servers
- Maintain server backups at local and remote locations
- Perform "on-call" work and after-hours maintenance as required and responsibly communicate activities
- Perform inspections, diagnostics and repair of ITS equipment and systems at field installations including CCTV, solar power equipment, electronic signs, radio equipment, fiber optic cabling and termination systems, vehicle speed sensors, networks switches, power supplies and all ancillary equipment required to support the ITS field equipment
- Maintain effective communication with project team members and with the customer
· Must be available for 24/7/365 on call response, on a rotating schedule with other technical personnel.
· Possible travel to Boston office to support the department for limited periods of time may be required.
Training and Experience
· Associates of Science degree in IT, Computer Science, or equivalent plus one (1) year experience in a system administrator role. An additional two (2) years’ experience with documented certifications for the qualifications described may substitute for the Associates of Science degree.
· Experience working in an engineering or field maintenance environment a plus
· Familiarity with Windows Desktop Operating Systems (Windows XP, Windows 7)
· Familiarity with Windows Server Operating Systems (Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2008 R2)
· Familiarity with Microsoft Office Products (2003 – 2010), including user support and maintenance
· Knowledge of communications technologies and protocols
· Knowledge of IP-based networks, including computer/device setup, configuration and troubleshooting
· Knowledge of ITS technologies a strong plus
· Knowledge of CADD software (AutoCAD or Microstation) a strong plus
· Microsoft and CompTIA certifications a plus
· Working knowledge of Windows Powershell, other scripting languages a plus
· Understanding of virtualization concepts a plus - VMWare, ESXi experience preferred
· Strong troubleshooting skills
· Strong customer service skills
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to climb and work at heights
· Valid driver's license with clean driving record
· Must be an excellent communicator, self-starter, comfortable in working directly with management and client.
Other Essential Functions
Affirmative Action/Employment Opportunity
Jacobs Engineering Group Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and employment selection decisions are based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. Jacobs does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of: race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by country, regional or local law.
Amount of Travel
Work At Home
Last Updated By
No results found.
Jacobs - 23 months ago
Jacobs, with annual revenues of nearly $13 billion, is one of the world's largest and most diverse providers of technical, professional, and...