The Life Insurance Division of American N a tional Insurance Company is currently seeking experienced professional candidates for the position of Director of Underwriting. The Director of Underwriting supervise s the Underwriting unit to assure handling of as many life applications as promptly and accurately as possible, striving to control the requirements necessary for competitive field acceptance, preservation of sound mortality, speedy underwriting time and all of these with due regard for cost of selection.
- Manage a staff of 16-20 underwriters at various levels.
- Perform large case underwriting from IMG.
- The process requires the ability to accurately evaluate complex financial statements, an understanding of proper justification for large amounts of life insurance as well as a sensitivity to the competitive need to respond quickly on each application , while accurately assessing the mortality factors.
- Clearly communicating requirements to producers, working directly with reinsurers to obtain proper reinsurance agreements on each file.
- Train department underwriting staff in the handling of large cases both financially and medically.
- Responsible for helping to establish and maintain a computer risk analysis routine to expedite decisions and control underwriting unit costs while meeting mortality assumptions.
- R esponsible for successful implementation of system processing within the Unit.
- Approve and decline requests for work site marketing simplified issue program.
- Handle referrals from Senior Underwriter/Underwriter Consultant Personnel.
- Determine when the risk requires referral upward to a company officer to insure the best underwriting of every risk.
- Handle appeal requests.
FLSA Status: Exempt
- 10-15 years of experience in underwriting risk selection and risk management.
- College degree or some college with 10-15 years of experience required.
- Minimum 6 LOMA courses acceptable--FLMI or FALU strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing underwriting staff.
- Knowledge of new types of medical treatment and drugs for physical and mental illness and results of same.
- Proven ability to understand the effects and underwriting consequences of blood profile vs. dried blood profile, HAA/CDT, saliva, and urine testing and FDA regulations of such. Also updated knowledge of statistics regarding society, morals, habits, drugs and/or alcohol usage, with resulting effects on longevity, hazardous sports, occupations and avocations.
- Knowledge of risk factors, particularly medical terms and conditions and their effect on mortality assumptions and large case management. Most important is the ability to assimilate these factors into total picture of a given risk, evaluate any hazards in evidence, and make a decision.
- Heavy experience in workflow system methods, knowledge of successful operation of underwriting department entire structure, handling of field problems, motivation, training and supervision of subordinates, thorough understanding of company mortality goals, management goals and administrative practices.
- Strong technical background in all facets of underwriting.
- Strong communicative skills with field force, peers, industry relationships.
- Innate ability to convey financial underwriting principals and guidelines to others as part of staff development.
- Recognition of special development of large risk cases for the company and the producer.
- Clear understanding of the "Underwriting Triangle" for profit (satisfactory decisions to client, agent and company).
- Must be fully aware of various state laws as they pertain to underwriting files such as rulings regarding signature acceptance, HIV testing, insurable interest etc.
American National is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please apply online at www.anico.com .