Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award winning owner and operator of some of the most luxurious hotels, resorts and residences located in prime destinations around the world.
Increasingly recognized for creating some of the world's most sought-after properties, the Group provides 21st century luxury with oriental charm. Above all, Mandarin Oriental is renowned for creating unique hotels through distinctive design and a strong sense of place - luxury hotels right for their time and place.
Our award winning property, in the nation's capital, is situated on D.C.'s growing South West waterfront. Commanding monumental views, the property offers 400 guest rooms including 54 suites, extensive event space, two superb restaurants including our award winning AAA Five Diamond, CityZen, and the only Forbes Four Star Spa in the metro area. Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. welcomes individuals who are guest centered and are committed to making a difference every day; continually getting better to keep us the best.
Scope of Position
The incumbent is responsible for directing restaurant team in achieving the ultimate guest experience and to meet and exceed the food and beverage goals established for achieving a 5 star/5 diamond rating.
The Restaurant Manager reports directly to the Director of Food and Beverage and supervises the entire restaurant staff.
Duties and Supporting Responsibilities
- Support company's philosophy and company culture through the use of the Legendary Quality Experiences on a daily basis to ensure guest satisfaction and the achievement of our Mission Statement.
- Provide leadership and support for all restaurant staff.
- Trains, evaluates and schedules restaurant staff in accordance with the standards of the company policies and guidelines.
- Develop and implement system for checking maintenance of tabletop supplies through staff side work duties.
- Create side work schedules for all positions. Ensure compliance and follow through.
- Maintain records and communicate any exemplary or deficient examples of food or service.
- Performs administrative duties such as (but not limited to): scheduling, payroll and inventory.
- Scheduling, recruitment and interviewing for new colleagues.
- Provide excellent service at all times to all guests.
- Assist guests courteously and efficiently.
- Managing day to day operation of three meal services.
- Provide guidance in insight to development of wine lists, cocktail menus, etc.
- Manage proper staffing and supply levels.
- Constant training and development of colleagues.
- Attend weekly Food & Beverage meetings.
- Chair monthly departmental meeting.
- Conduct daily communication meeting with staff prior to shift.
- Interact and engage in a pleasant and professional manner with our guests to ensure service standards and guest satisfaction is achieved.
- Manage, coach, and counsel colleagues; follow through in accordance with progressive discipline standards when appropriate.
- Uphold and enforce all hotel policies and procedures as stated in hotel colleague handbook.
- Act in accordance at all times per the Collective Bargaining Agreement; operate the business in a fashion to enhance our colleagues work experience and honor the Union guidelines.
- Communicate all group information/changes to existing information to appropriate hotel colleagues in an accurate and timely manner.
- Entertain clients, as appropriate. Support PR initiatives and provide creative guidance for special dining events.
- Demonstrate and model superior phone etiquette at all times.
- Understand and follow the laws and guidelines for beverage service in the District of Columbia.
- Provides instruction and/or guidance for guest and employee safety in fire or other emergency situations.
- Ensures accuracy of all menus: current, correct, spelled correctly, clean and presentable.
- Ensures menu descriptions are up to date and distributed appropriately.
- Assists with check reconciliation with regards to voids, promos and discounted items. Assures that checks are settled in an honest and accurate way.
- Develops yearly budget; acts in a manner consistent with financial responsibility per MOHG standards.
- Be responsible for guest and colleague satisfaction scores.
- Maintain and proactively monitor food safety standards per MOHG FLHSS&E standards.
- 5 years experience in luxury hotel food and beverage operations or upscale dining establishments.
- 2 years experience food and beverage manager and/or upscale restaurant manager level.
- Demonstrated expertise with wine, cocktail and beer knowledge; experience in wine list and specialty cocktail menu development preferred.
- Degree in related field preferred.
- Experience in training required; ability to develop and mentor team members required.
- Able to work a flexible schedule to include nights, weekends, holidays.
- Able to meet the physical demands of the position such as (but not limited to): standing/walking 8+ hours per day; ability to lift/push/pull/carry bulky objects on occasion.
- Must possess a pleasant demeanor with a positive attitude; superior customer service skills and ability to communicate professionally with both guests and colleagues alike.
- Fluency in English is required; superior communication skills a must.
- Experience working in a union environment preferred.
- Demonstrated computer proficiencies to include (but not limited to): Microsoft Office, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Micros POS systems, etc.
- TIPS certification preferred.
- Multi-lingual preferred.
Mandarin Oriental - 20 months ago