Integration and Trade Senior Associate/Specialist (INT/TIU)
Integration and Trade Senior Associate/Specialist
The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) is the leading source of multilateral financing for regional development in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). It provides loans, grants, guarantees, policy advice and technical assistance to the public and private sectors of its borrowing member countries.
The Trade and Investment Unit (TIU) of the Integration and Trade Sector (INT) of the Vice-Presidency for Sectors and Knowledge (VPS) supports LAC integration into the global economy and regional integration and cooperation through lending operations, applied economic and sector work as well as the technical implementation of international trade and investment fora. In particular, key functional priority areas include export promotion and investment attraction; trade facilitation, trade logistics and customs; and trade and investment agreements' implementation.
The IDB is currently looking for Integration and Trade Sr. Associate / Specialists to join TIU. Supervised by the Unit Chief, the Sr. Associate/ Specialists will contribute both to the operational work of the Sector, to its applied operational knowledge in international trade and investment as well as to the technical organization and implementation of international trade and investment fora.
She/he will be based in Washington D.C. in order to support the TIU pipeline and portfolio.
The candidate is expected to support TIU in its three main areas of work: preparation and supervision of loan and technical assistance operations, development of applied and high quality and applied operational knowledge and organization and implementation of international trade and investment fora. In particular, the candidate will:
- Support the origination, design, processing, negotiation and administration of country-specific and regional projects and programs of TIU.
- Monitor and coordinate the execution of a sub-regional portfolio of financial and non-financial products under responsibility of TIU.
- Supervise technical aspects of procurement activities for the acquisition and contracting of goods and services under Bank financed operations.
- Assess the capabilities of client countries with regard to their capacity to leverage from regional, international and global trade and investment, identifying main restrictions and opportunities at the operational level.
- Analyze issues related to trade and investment policies and agencies, make policy reform recommendations and provide advice on technical discussions related to international trade and investment, at the regional, sub-regional, hemispheric, and multilateral levels.
- Contribute to country and regional policy dialogues on trade and regional integration.
- Lead the technical organization and implementation of international and sector-specific trade and investment fora carried out by TIU on a regular basis (i.e., ASIA-LAC, Outsource2LAC, LAC Flavors, CEO Summit of the Americas and demand driven fora, especially those involving Brazil as well as Haiti).
- Conduct and support applied operational knowledge and economic and sector work in the 3 functional areas of TIU, including diagnostics for national programming processes.
- Organize training and other capacity building activities, including conferences, seminars and workshops with government and private sector leaders.
- Promote collaboration with other divisions and departments of the Bank.
Master's Degree or
in law, economics, business administration, public policy, or related field.
At least 6 years of work experience, preferably in an international
environment in the fields of international trade, law, economics or public policy. Experience in the origination, negotiation, administration and evaluation of development projects with multilateral development banks will also be valued. Experience in the technical design and implementation of international trade and investment fora will also be valued.
- Sector Knowledge
: Demonstrated expertise in international trade and investment issues.
Proficiency in English and Spanish. Fluency in Portuguese or French is specially desired.
- Strategic Thinking:
Demonstrated ability to define and articulate applied knowledge and research with direct operational and policy relevance, ability to shape, recommend, and operationalize policy directions in the trade and investment field.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making:
Ability to make critical decisions and recommendations based on systematic analysis and sound judgment. Ability to gather and analyze information from a variety of sources to fully understand complex problems and arrive at an optimal solution. Initiative to resolve unanticipated bottlenecks and problems in project implementation and in relations with clients.
Capacity to lead teams in the design, implementation and supervision of lending and technical assistance programs and trade and investment fora in international trade and investment.
Ability to work with multicultural and multidisciplinary teams. Social skills for maintaining constructive dialogue and fluent communication. Receptive to ideas put forward by other members of the team. Ability to express disagreement tactfully. Capacity to take the initiative to assist others and willingness to share information, knowledge and best practices.
- Initiative and Adaptability:
Ability to act independently and resourcefully in responding to work demands under tight time constraints. Ability and willingness to carry out multiple tasks and to quickly adapt to shifting priorities.
Ability to clearly convey complex facts and ideas in a logical and organized manner in writing and orally, adapting communication style to the needs of the audience.
- Organizational Savvy and Building Bonds:
Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships and networks within and outside the Bank.
Comprehensive relocation package (if applicable)
Diverse and inclusive work environment
The IDB is committed to gender equality and encourages women to apply.
We seek diversity also in terms of nationality, ethnicity, race and educational background.
Persons living with disability or HIV/AIDS are equally encouraged to apply.
Feb 6, 2013
Feb 21, 2013
Contact Name - External
Contact Email - External
Inter-American Development Bank - 19 months ago
Inter-American Development Bank is like a mutual aid society that packs an economic punch. The institution was founded in 1959 to aid in the...