McKinsey Insights China macro team is looking for a (Junior) Research Analyst specializing in econometric modeling and macro-economic research. The analyst will be supporting the development of the Firm’s Proprietary Database, generating reports and conducting relevant analyses to support Client Service Teams. The analyst would be located in McKinsey Shanghai office with occasional needs for travel.
Insights China is an exciting and cutting edge proprietary research center of McKinsey, helping the Firm build reputation and develop knowledge in the consumer and macro-economic space. Insights China offers the opportunity for the ideal candidate to analyze big data, work with world’s leading experts on hot topics, contribute to the development of advanced analytical technologies, and generate deep insights that can help shape important business decision.
The primary role of the (Junior) Research Analyst would include:
- Contributing to the development of the proprietary database (~1/3 of time) and generating research reports. The analyst will help keep existing databases current, regularly review the methodology of existing econometric forecasting models, improve the forecast quality, and develop new models as needed. The analyst will work with the research team, experts and leaders to generate internal and external reports.
- Handle data requests from consulting teams (~1/3 of time). With senior analyst guidance, the analyst will interact with consulting teams, understand their needs, evaluate feasibility, suggest appropriate ways to best utilize the proprietary database, and deliver data in a timely manner. The analyst will begin to handle data requests from consulting teams once he/she gets familiar with the knowledge and database.
- Supporting client engagements and clientele development (~1/3 of time). The analyst may be expected to assist our consulting teams on advanced analytics and other modeling-related work. This may range from supporting proposal efforts, engaging in active client discussions, preparing data, providing analytical supports and contributing to team problem solving.
The successful candidate must demonstrate good intrinsic skills indicating high potential for the role. In general, ideal candidates for this role would be those who enjoy the challenges and rewards of creating new knowledge in a dynamic and changing environment, who relish contributing to relatively untested initiative and making it successful, and who can come up with a practical solution at the end of the day.
Education and Previous Experience Required:
- Logical thinking. Ability to disaggregate complex issues, identify root causes and recommend alternative solutions
- Advanced analytical skill. Hands-on experience in data mining and statistical modeling. Proficient in at least one of the typical econometric modeling softwares (e.g., EViews, SPSS, SAS). Able to write modeling programs. Attend to detail and have a high level of comfort with large dataset
- Process management. Good at process management, including making work plans, organizing multi tasks, and ability to deliver on tight deadlines. Able to ensure the accuracy of the outputs and work well under pressure over an extended period of time
- Communication. Good written and verbal communication skills. Able to listen and understand what the consulting team and research peers mean, and work with a diverse group people. Fluent in both written and spoken English and Chinese Mandarin.
- Master or Ph.D. in macroeconomics, quantitative economics, econometrics, or MIS (with strong quantitative background) from a top international recognized university
- Prior work experience in handling data of large volumes; conducting advanced analytics and statistic modeling preferred
- Prior work experience in conducting quantitative macro-economic, statistical or marketing related research would be preferred
McKinsey & Company is one of the world's top management consulting firms. With roughly 90 offices in more than 50 countries around...