To perform a variety of secretarial/administrative duties for a physician through extensive patient contact.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
• Answer telephones and schedule appointments
• Greet patients, take medical histories, register new patients, and update old cases
• Print schedule for next day; pull charts and print fee tickets for surgery and clinic
• Prepare charts and get results of tests taken
• File charts
• Open, read, sort, and distribute mail to appropriate staff members
• Complete sick certificates/disability or other forms requested by patients
• Retrieve faxes; fax reports & clinical notes to physicians and patients
• Pre-cert surgeries & tests as well as verifying insurance information
• Provide, with prescribed limits and legal guidelines, information to patients and callers on results of tests, medication prescribed, treatment given, diagnosis and cost of service.
• Call in prescription to pharmacy for patients
• Establish and maintain office and patient files
Other Related Duties:
• Backup for other department secretaries
• Attempt to determine from nature and severity of patients’ symptoms whether emergency treatment is required and makes appropriate arrangements or schedules patients for regular appointment with the physician.
• Copy and send out physician follow-up letters
• Provide assistance to department as needed.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High school graduate or equivalent combination of training and experience is necessary; knowledge of medical terminology.
3 years of secretarial experience in a healthcare environment. Experience working with patient records, billing and scheduling in a clinical setting is needed for this position. Typing skill of 50-60WPM is necessary.
Supervision is received from a physician or department manager.
Supervision Exercised: None
Equipment To Be Used:
Must be able to operate computer and other office machines such as fax, calculator, telephone and so on.
Typical Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Frequent mobility and/or sitting required for extended periods of time. Requires manual dexterity to operate computer keyboard, calculator, copier machine, and other equipment.
Typical Mental Demands:
Ability to input data into the computer, and analyze data as requested. Must be able to communicate providing verbal feedback in a professional manner. Must be able to follow instructions. Must be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people. Must be able to deal with a variety of emotions and frustrations. Emotional stability and personal maturity are important attributes in this position. Must be able to handle conflict.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Works in typical office setting.
George Washington Medical Faculty Associates - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard