PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB: Carry out duties and responsibilities that are designed to contribute to achievement of the established objective of the department.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The faculty is accountable to the assigned department chairperson for carrying out the duties and responsibilities that are designed to contribute to the achievement of the established objective of the department. While the faculty’s contract spells out his/her duties in the general manner, the department chairperson has the responsibility and authority of making assignments to the faculty, provided such assignments are within the realms of the contract and/or letter of appointment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
QUALIFICATIONS: Master’s in nursing with teaching experience preferred but consideration may be given to an applicant with a BSN and enrolled in a master’s in nursing program.
- Cooperate with the department chairperson and assist in developing the departmental long-range and annual plans.
- Assist the department chairperson in developing appropriate instructional methodologies to foster and promote the teacher-learning processes.
- Participate in building and maintaining a strong and viable department by helping in recruiting students.
- Assist in promoting student retention and optimum academic progression by meeting the departmental/university criteria for student advancement and referral.
- Cooperates and coordinate with the department chairperson in developing course objectives, outlines, and students’ performance expectations.
- Recommend changes in courses, texts, teaching and advisement strategies, policies, etc., as are necessary to strengthen the department.
- Keep abreast and aware in his/her field of study and seek opportunities for professional growth and development.
- Recommend and/or refer to appropriate service areas(s) advisees or other students who might need professional assistance.
- These would include students who are frequently absent from classes, student with correctable academic deficiencies and who need special assistance, students who appear to have socio-psychological problems, and students who are contemplating withdrawing for the university, etc.
- Enhance professional growth as evidenced by involvement in funded research projects and/or initiating and collaboration with others on research activities, providing consultation in area of specialty, attending professional organizations and conferences, publications, etc.
- Provide services to the community by participating in community activities such as the speakers’ bureau, lectures, seminars, your programs, public school programs, church activities, etc.
- Maintain prescribed clinical and classroom teaching assignments and office hours.
- Cooperate with the department chairperson in monitoring the implementation of instructional methodologies and in assessing the achievement of the departmental objectives.
- Recommend candidates meeting the requirements for graduation to the department chairperson.
- Cooperate with and assist the department chairperson in conduction evaluation of the faculty and the department.
- Serve departmental and/or university committees as may be assigned by the Department Chairperson, Dean, Executive Vice-President/Provost for Academic Affairs, or President.
- Cooperate with other faculty in carrying out activities designed to enhance the quality of the instruction, research and public service programs of the department/university.
- Execute any and all other duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the Department Chairperson, Dean, Executive Vice-President/Provost for Academic Affairs, or President.
Licensing and Certifications
Current MS RN License and certifications as appropriate for the position
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
I. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The ability to teach nursing education in an institution of higher learning preferred.
1. Ability to sit at a workstation for extended periods
2. Occasional ability to lift, carry, and put away parcels weighing up to 50 pounds
3. Normal physical mobility, which includes movement from place to place on the job taking distance and speed into account
4. Normal physical strength to handle routine office materials and tools
5. Normal endurance
ALCORN STATE UNIVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical requirements listed in this job description represent the essential duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions listed do not necessarily include all activities that the individual may perform.
- 22 months ago - save job