Reports To : Associate Vice President, Project Integration and Delivery
Department: Information Technology
Office Location : Charles Town, WV
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date Posted : January 1, 2013
Date Closing : Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The Senior IT Business Analyst is responsible for developing a strong relationship with internal business customers, working with business customers to understand and document current processes and identify areas where processes could be improved through changes to the process and/or enhancements to the system.
- Analyzes business practices throughout American Public University System (APUS) departments and utilize this information to influence process improvements.
- Understands, analyzes, interprets and documents process workflows.
- Analyzes information obtained from management to conceptualize and define operational problems.
- Designs new and improved processes utilizing knowledge or performance data, metrics, and process interdependencies.
- Analyzes business processes to define the functional and detailed requirements and works with the team to design specifications and approach.
- Studies and analyzes information about alternative courses of action to determine which plan will offer the best outcomes.
- Develops metrics to track business process improvements within both the Information Technology Department and business organization.
- Oversees the transition to new processes and conducts continuous review and updates to ensure that changing business unit conditions are met.
- Leads discovery sessions, publishes meeting minutes and assures all action items are completed within the timeframe set.
- Consults with business process owners to obtain additional information during system development in order to evaluate an alternative approach.
- Conducts system demonstrations and coordinates the creation of user guides.
- Prepares User Acceptance Testing (UAT) documentation and leads the user acceptance testing effort with the responsible business process owner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
- Travel required to Manassas, VA location as needed.
- Proven leadership ability, with strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to set and manage priorities and projects with tight deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to articulate ideas to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Keen attention to detail, and the ability to self-motivate and direct.
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to motivate others, and work in a team oriented, collaborative environment.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field required; advance degree preferred.
- Seven to ten years experience working in Information Technology as a Business Analyst.
- Understanding and experience with one or more process methodologies such as Six Sigma, Lean or CMMi.
- Exposure to Information Technology development methodologies such as Agile or Rational Unified Process (RUP).
- Experience with design and development of Web application.
- Understanding of relational database concepts.
American Public University System - 10 months ago