The Associate Counsel is responsible for providing general corporate legal advice. This position requires continuous study due to the changing nature of healthcare law. This position reports to the Vice President and Chief Legal Officer (CLO).
1. Provide general commercial and healthcare legal advice, including but not limited to drafting and negotiating various outside ancillary services and managed care contracts.
2. Prepare and review of physician contracts and handling of physician transactions.
3. Give legal advice on regulatory compliance and risk management issues, including HIPAA, tax exemption, fraud and abuse laws, anti-kickback issues, False Claims Act and related state statutes and regulations.
4. Provide education and training on legal issues to managers.
5. Prepare and review of corporate legal documents and preparation of corporate entity formation.
6. Provide direction, guidance, and assistance on legal matters related to CRMC including, but not limited to, networks, acquisitions/divestitures, physician contracts, employment/regulatory compliance and general corporate healthcare law.
7. Interface with senior management and key administrators on legal problems/issues.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified and employees may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
1. Knows, understands, incorporates and demonstrates the mission, vision and values of CRMC in leadership behaviors, practices and decisions.
2. Performs a variety of legal work within specific areas of expertise. Prepares formal memoranda and legal opinion on subjects that require extensive legal research.
3. Consults and advises with and performs a variety of legal assignments for other CRMC corporate staff members. May provide consultation and advice to CRMC officers and other management personnel.
4. Represents the interests of CRMC in contacts with outside parties including attorneys, managers and officials of other companies and government agencies.
5. Provides legal counsel to CRMC and its operating entities respect to matters either in the particular field of law where the attorney has special expertise, or in the general field of corporate healthcare law.
6. Advises management on developments in the area of expertise or corporate healthcare law in which the attorney specializes and which may impact on CRMC.
7. Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws and regulations, CRMC Corporate Integrity Program, Code of Ethics, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behavior.
1. Licensed attorney holding a LL.B. or J.D. degree from a recognized law school.
2. Must have a minimum of five (5) plus years' experience practicing law with at least three (3) years' experience in the practice of corporate healthcare law, including the laws affecting tax-exempt organizations, with demonstrated legal capability covering diverse legal assignments that occasionally include legal matters of major significance.
3. Must possess highly effective written and verbal communication skills with the ability to relate directly, openly, and effectively with both internal and external constituencies. Strong negotiation skills and superb listening capabilities.
4. Must possess the ability to work independently on routine matters. However, is expected to seek guidance and accept supervision on more complicated matters or where substantial amounts of money or significant other risks to CRMC are involved.
6. Must possess strong conceptual and analytical skills.
7. Strong interpersonal and consultative skills. Ability to deal tactfully with diverse people, situations and ideas and present advisory, persuasive and authoritative recommendations to all levels of the organization.
8. Must be comfortable operating in a collaborative, shared leadership environment.
9. Must possess a personal presence that is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals and values of CRMC.
Cheyenne Regional Medical Center - 19 months ago
The Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) is the benefits division of the Department of Veterans Affairs. The VBA provides benefits divided...