$42,081 - USD Per Year
Apply Online Now:
*Please mention CommunityCollegeJobs.com to employers when applying for this job*
SALARY: The starting salary will be determined by placement on the BBCC salary index matrix (S.I.M.). The base salary shall be $42,081 with the opportunity of a higher placement on the matrix based on formal verification of relevant experience, credentials and/or degrees from accredited institutions. The contract is for a 9-month school year contract of 173 days. Faculty may have the opportunity for overload assignments for additional pay.
BENEFITS: Excellent fringe benefits including health, vision and dental insurance for entire family (minimal employee contribution), life insurance and long-term disability insurance provided over 12 months for employee (both employee and employer contributions). Ten days of sick leave are earned every academic year. Participation in a defined contribution retirement plan is mandatory, with both employee and employer contributions. Dependent care assistance program and medical/dental flexible spending accounts are available.
DATE: Full-time teaching contract starts September 16, 2013.
APPLICATION: Open until filled. First review of applications will begin May 22, 2013 at 12:00noon. Big Bend Community College reserves the right to offer this position to a qualified candidate at any time, so your prompt response is encouraged.
BIG BEND COMMUNITY COLLEGE IS COMMITTED TO INCREASING ITS CULTURAL DIVERSITY AMONG PROFESSIONAL STAFF. WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE MEMBERS OF PROTECTED GROUPS TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION.
Big Bend Community College is a small rural community college located in the sunny, central part of Washington State, and is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. Big Bend Community College serves over 5,000 students annually, with an annualized FTE of approximately 2,100, in a 4,600-square-mile service district including 15 communities in Grant and Adams Counties and the Odessa School District in Lincoln County with on-site, online instruction, and interactive classrooms.
This position reports directly to the Dean of Professional/Technical Education and works closely with the Title V Computer Science Instructional Designer on lab set-up, equipment purchases, program development, program recruitment, and marketing. The instructor will guide students through a one or two-year pathway towards a professional/technical or academic transfer degree.
Teaching assignments may include day, evening, or online courses. Teaching assignments are determined in conjunction with computer science faculty and the appropriate Dean.
Our college seeks faculty who can emphasize the academic success of their students, and who love to teach. We particularly welcome those who will be active participants in our small but thriving college community.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
• Prepare and teach classes in computer programming, networks and related computing hardware and operating systems.
• Support students’ academic success by maintaining regular office hours, advising students and providing service to students with special needs.
• Contributes to curriculum development, program, and new course development. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of subject areas.
• Participate as an active member of working committees dealing with instruction, college-wide and department assessment, student matters and/or college related concerns.
• Works closely with an industry advisory committee to improve computer science instructional programs.
• Work effectively with colleagues and students of various cultural and socio-economic backgrounds and be a positive contributing member of the campus community.
• Provide advice and support for Computer Science adjunct (part-time) faculty in conjunction with the faculty division chair.
• Maintain positive and effective communications with students, faculty, administration and staff.
• Foster a flexible, healthy learning environment with respect for student diversity.
• Demonstrate a commitment to professional growth and development.
• Other duties as agreed to with division chair or administrator.
At the time of application, all applicants must possess the following:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or closely related field, from a regionally accredited institution of higher education, OR Associate’s degree in Computer Science, Computing Information Systems, or related field from a regionally accredited institution of higher education and three (3) years’ recent, full-time work experience in the information technology industry.
• Washington State Professional Technical Vocational Certificate or will become vocationally certificated.
• Knowledge of web content strategies, e-commerce concepts and strategies, and content management systems.
• Current certification in one or more of the following: Cisco CCNA, CCENT, Microsoft MCT, MTA, MCSM, MCSE, MCSA, Certified Web Master (CIW), CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, or other recognized industry certification.
• Ability to obtain certification for Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD or Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT)) within the first six (6) months of employment.
• Successful teaching experience with students of varied ethnicity, ages, backgrounds and abilities.
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
• Master’s degree in Computer Science or closely related field, from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
• Previous programming experience in web development, mobile application development, and/or gaming.
• One year of experience teaching computer science or related disciplines, including online and hybrid courses.
• Significant, full-time work experience in the information technology industry beyond the minimum qualifications.
• Previous experience developing computer science curriculum or content.
• Ability to implement strategies to improve student success and retention.
• Ability to work well with students and colleagues.
• Ability to stimulate student interest in learning computer science.
• Demonstrated multicultural experience (fluency in other languages, work experience, or literary/cultural/travel experience) which add breadth and depth to teaching.
To be considered for this position, all applicants must submit all of the following application materials:
• Completed and signed BBCC Employment application.
• Cover letter that specifically addresses how the candidate meets the minimum and desired qualifications.
• Resume—include a list of all classes taught with their corresponding dates.
• Copies of transcripts from all degree-granting institutions—degrees must be verified on transcript copies (upon contract offer, official transcripts will need to be submitted).
• Two current letters of recommendation or a recent placement file containing at least two current letters of recommendation. All letters must have been written within the last year, be signed and dated, and be from a person having firsthand knowledge of the applicant’s professional qualifications. Letters should address how the applicant’s qualifications and experience relate to the position.
Applicants selected for an interview will be required to give a short (approximately 15 minutes) teaching demonstration on a topic to be determined prior to the interview. If possible, the teaching demonstration will be held in a classroom with actual students participating. The demonstration will be held at the conclusion of the formal interview.
Incomplete application packets will not be forwarded for consideration by the Screening Committee
Application materials must be picked up, sent from BBCC Human Resources Office by U.S. mail, or downloaded from our web site (*see instructions below). All application materials must be received in the college Human Resources Office. Application materials can be faxed or e-mailed to the Human Resources Office if followed up by the hard copy in the mail. All application materials become the property of BBCC and will not be returned or photocopied.
*The BBCC Employment Application and Information for Federal and State Reporting Purposes Form may be downloaded from the BBCC website www.bigbend.edu. Click on Job Opportunities, click on the Employment Application and then go back and click on Information for Federal and State Reporting Purposes Form.
For further information, contact the BBCC Human Resources Office, Building 1400, 7662 Chanute Street NE, Moses Lake, WA 98837-3299, 509.793.2008 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Office hours: 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Friday.
A stipend may be offered to out of state candidates selected for an interview.
Big Bend Community College hires only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States, and, if hired, requires written proof and verification of legal work status.
Big Bend Community College is a smoke free agency in accordance with state law.
Big Bend Community College provides a drug free, healthful, safe and secure work environment in compliance with the Federal Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance with the recruitment process will be accommodated to the extent reasonably possible when the need is identified in advance.
Big Bend Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, religion, physical, mental or sensory disability, veteran status or genetic information in its programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding employment non-discrimination policies: Kim Garza, Vice President of Human Resources and Labor/Affirmative Action Officer, Big Bend Community College, Human Resource Office, 7662 Chanute St NE, Moses Lake, WA 98837, 509.793.2008.
If it is necessary to correct or modify this announcement, changes will be posted at the Big Bend Community College Human Resources Office and the WorkSource Moses Lake Office (Employment Security).
Employment will be contingent upon favorable background check.
Apply Online Now:
*Please mention CommunityCollegeJobs.com to employers when applying for this job*
- 2 years ago - save job