Laureate's business growth is driving significant investments in IT infrastructure, applications and integration technologies as it expands its business globally. The Vice President, IT Operations is seen as a fundamental role in assuring the reliability and effectiveness of enterprise-wide data center technology systems, processing, product development, telephony and networks.
Reporting to the CIO for GPS, this leader is a member of the Laureate GPS IT Shared Services team with overall responsibilities for Data Center Management, Data Processing, Networking, Telephony, Video Conferencing, Technology Infrastructure and IT Customer Support including a Global Data Network that links Laureate's global operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Responsible for the overall enterprise-wide effectiveness and efficiency of data center technology systems and networks and in ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction and reliability. Leads the migration to new technologies, evaluates processing performance and overall resource utilization for effective capacity planning. Forecasts financial, physical and human resource needs to meet established objectives. Oversees and coordinates network/data operations, business continuance and restoration plans that isolate problems and implement pre-planned alternative routes or systems to restore service.
- Oversee the current staff of approximately 60 professionals located in the Corporate location in Baltimore MD California, Columbia MD, Minneapolis, Phoenix, Miami, Amsterdam (Netherlands), Chicago, San Diego and Santa Fe. Laureate's GPS Infrastructure currently serves a population of 5,000 desktop internal users, and 70,000 external customers.
- Manage two Laureate owned Data Center locations: primary Data Center operation in Baltimore, MD and the secondary location in Los Angeles (CA). Develop a long-term strategy for evolving and maintaining the primary data center and create a plan to evaluate the relocation of the secondary site.
- Promote the use of innovative technologies that will provide benefits to students and faculty as they interact with Laureate's GPS core platforms. Lead the introduction of new technologies in mobile devices, web 2.0 and social media. Partner with Learning Technologies and PS&D for the creation of a new learning environment that will replace traditional LMSs based on original ideas generated within by Laureate GPS.
- Deploy and operate Laureate's Technology Infrastructure, maintaining the highest levels of availability and performance of all technology and application services. Manage Business-Mission critical production environments to provide uninterrupted quality service.
- Establish Operating Procedures for the maintenance and change management of the production environments for all business applications. Create systematic and formalized policies and processes for introducing and implementing changes (hardware or applications) into a managed environment.
- Define and establish operational metrics that represent the level of quality and availability offered to internal and external customers.
- Implement and execute an Asset Management strategy for sourcing, procurement, maintenance and disposal of telecom and computer equipment.
- Work strategically and collaboratively with key business unit leaders and process owners to understand technology infrastructure needs.
- Identify, evaluate, select and deploy technologies that can be assimilated and significantly improve cost structures and student service. Develop synergies across the Division, where appropriate, to increase IT productivity and improve associated costs.
- Recruit, motivate and develop a superior IT Operations staff at the headquarters location and work closely with the International group.
A minimum of 15 years of progressive information technology experience in a highly competitive corporate environment, operating mission critical systems, and managing multi-million dollar budgets. Experience in a multi-national operating environment is a plus. An undergraduate degree, ideally in computer science, engineering or mathematics is required. A graduate degree, while not required, is helpful.
TECHNICAL, MANAGERIAL, and PEOPLE SKILLS:
- Service and reliability orientation: A passion for maintaining the highest standards of quality and availability of technical services in a dynamic environment. Someone who measures success by offering a seamless, trouble free, predictable and reliable systems environment.
- Business Acumen: He/she will have good financial and budgeting skills, and understand ROI. Will have experience aligning technology infrastructure expenditures with business objectives.
- Leadership Skills: A self-starter who can excel in a team environment. A nonpolitical team player, who can build immediate credibility with the leadership team and with all the IT personnel staff within the division and headquarters. It is essential that this individual has the ability to personally solve problems, coach others, step up and take decisive action to rectify any divergences.
- Strong Execution Skills. Drives flawless execution of day-to-day operations, as well as contributing to continuous improvements in client service experiences and management of critical projects and programs. The ability to understand complex needs to ensure IT plans are delivered as promised.
- An individual that combines a focus on discipline and experience in large, stable operating environments, with the flexibility necessary to accommodate the changes resulting from a rapidly growing company.
- Will prioritize reliability and quality in all production operational environments and will clearly identify situations that present unacceptable business risk.
- Aggressively and relentlessly pursues excellence and measures achievements not only by immediate function results, but also by the success of the entire company.
- An individual with strong leadership skills and a high energy level capable of motivating others, establish high quality operational procedures.
- Strong technical base and demonstrated management skills.
- A solid background of experience and an impressive record of attaining technology availability and quality goals in large complex organizations, especially in an e-commerce-oriented environment with large populations of desktops and clients. Experience in managing technical compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) highly desirable.
- Experience managing large technology facilities and geographically distributed networks for data and voice. Demonstrated success managing multi-million dollar infrastructure budgets and IT Operations organizations.
- Demonstrated success in consolidating dispersed infrastructure and data centers to optimize quality and reduce costs and complexity.
- Experience in technology sourcing strategies and large contract vendor management.
- Experience in directing and managing within a dynamic and challenging environment, working inclusively through people to achieve shared objectives.
- An undergraduate degree, ideally in computer science, engineering or mathematics is required. A graduate degree, while not required, is helpful.
Kendall College - 20 months ago