This position is a 75% Research Specialist position located within the Animal Sciences Nutrition Laboratory, which carries a concurrent advanced degree program. Expectations include managing and collecting biological samples, analytical analysis, and data output within the Animal Sciences Nutrition Laboratory. Conducting a broad range of analysis in a state of the art nutrition research laboratory are expected and may include but are not limited to the following areas, proximate analysis, in vitro and in situ digestibilities, forage fiber analyses, immunolyte, RIA , ELISA , spectrophotometric techniques, AA, ICP , GC, HPLC , qRT- PCR , Western blotting and immunohistochemistry coupled with image analysis. This position also carries a significant field component with duties including care of cannulated animals and sample collections from animals on research projects. Participation in research trials involving animals, including data and sample collection, diet formulation, feeding management, and animal husbandry may also be expected. Technical assistance in planning, conducting, and publishing research projects is also expected. Training and assisting graduate and undergraduate students with analyses and data collection, supervising hourly labor, and collaborating with other research faculty and technicians to conduct program related research is expected.
- B.S. degree in Animal Sciences, Biology, or related area
- Demonstrated experience with relevant laboratory analyses
- Ability and desire to work on an advanced degree is essential
- Experience working with large animals in a research setting, data collection and laboratory analyses
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Good written and oral communication skills
- M.S. degree in Animal Science, Biology, or related area
- Experience with proximate analyses, in vitro and in situ digestibilities, fiber fraction analyses, histology, and with digestion and metabolism studies
- Ability to effectively manage and supervise hourly employees
- Experience with statistical analysis, data presentation, and publication of results
Open Until Filled:
Internal/External Simultaneously: Open to all applicants
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please provide names and contact information (preferable phone numbers) for 3 professional references.
Working with chemicals, acids, bases, and other reagents as needed for specific analytical procedures. Working with livestock.
North Dakota State University - 17 months ago