Under the supervision of the Assistant Program Director, the Activity Coordinator develops, organizes and implements activity programs for the social, emotional, physical and other therapeutic needs of the residents. In a functional leadership role the Activity Coordinator will cover the milieu and lead shift activities within a team environment.
- Lead shift activities
- Train and lead staff (observe and give feedback) in the running of activities.
- Continually look for and develop new activities. Contact vendors for group rates, discounts and donations that will benefit the program residents.
- Work collaboratively with Rehabilitation Department and other clinical partners in running groups and activities.
- Develop new activity programs that will meet the needs of the residents as determined by the clinical staff
- Counsel and teach students new behaviors and coping skills.
- Ensure that all supplies and other necessities required to run activities are available when and where they are needed, ie. Transportation and art/craft supplies
- Follows up with supervisors to make sure staff are running the activities as scheduled.
- Monitor staff activity and keep notes for improvements.
- Posts recreation schedule monthly
- May assist in medical emergencies and crises, which may include restraint.
- Provides coverage in the milieu as needed, including back up shift supervisor.
- Observes and records behavior and information regarding mental status of residents. Maintains resident records as assigned.
- Attends assistant supervisor’s meetings, staff meetings, supervisory sessions, treatment team meetings and in-service training as assigned.
- Carries out treatment-related duties in conjunction with the team, the resident, and/or the resident’s family, state and community agencies/programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent in Psychology or related field. 3 years experience in a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to de-escalate residents and handle crisis situations.
- Demonstrated ability to run groups with adolescents.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm when under stress or in emergency situations.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with people who are under emotional stress.
- Ability to work with and lead others in a team setting.
- Must be able to assist with the restraint of residents in crisis.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and dependable transportation.
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED :
- Degree in Recreation Therapy preferred
Under the supervision of the Assistant Program Director
The Activity Coordinator will be functionally supervising Mental Health Counselors when training staff on how to run activities or in the role of a back-up supervisor.
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS: The Activity Coordinator will primarily work on the Connections adolescent unit, in the courtyard or on off grounds activities (i.e. shopping, park, playground, etc.). Work is of a medium to heavy demand. Potential exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
This position is under the supervision of the Director of Rehabiliation Services. This position under this requisition will be working on the Continuing Care Units. Backup shift supervsior in not in this role on the Continuing Care Units.
UMass Medical School - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard