Oracle DBA - Engineering-INF0003368
About the General Motors Enterprise Database Services: Database Engineering Team
GM is enabling an unparalleled IT transformation, enabling the latest technology trends, unleashing IT innovation, in an effort to help GM to design, build, and sell the world’s best vehicles. The Enterprise Database Services organization is supporting that initiative by providing for all aspects of database technology strategy, deployment, monitoring, and operations of GM databases in an effort to provide GM with the best managed database solutions in the world.
The database engineering team, within Enterprise Database Services, is chartered with providing end-to-end Database Management System (DBMS) architectures, testing and preparation of DBMS software bundles and client libraries, configurations for Oracle RAC, DataGaurd, OEM provisioning, Shared Database Farms, Virtualization solutions, Disaster Recovery, ITIL processes, DBMS technology trends, and the development of automation tools to dramatically standardize, simplify and optimize GM’s database landscape.
About the role:
The Database Engineering Oracle DBA will work with other organizations to define requirements and design solutions for all aspects of database management at GM. This includes but is not limited to, working closely with database vendors, infrastructure groups, other DBAs, and application teams to proactively develop; strategic DBMS roadmaps, standardized DBMS deployment bundles, configurations for broad deployment, automation tools/scripts, new database technology evaluations, best practices, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Minimum 7 years Information Technology experience with 5 years enterprise database expertise
- Expertise in Oracle 11g, PL/SQL, RAC, OEM, Shell, DataGuard, ASM, GoldenGate, Database Vault, Rman, VMWare ESX, Linux SUSE, HP-UX, Sun Solaris, AIX
- Extensive technical knowledge across multiple technology areas including: Java platform, .Net framework, performance tuning, storage, networking, client libraries
- Experience with data modeling, database design, and even Oracle patching methodologies
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge on how to support very large databases with heavy online and batch activities
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail and think broadly with a system orientation
- Great team player
- Equivalent expertise in alternate DB technologies, specifically SQL Server, DB2 and/or Hadoop
- Understanding/experience in an Agile (scrum), and/or iterative development methodology
- Experience and familiarity with IT best practices (e.g., CMMI, ISO9000, ITIL, COBIT)
- Application development in large, complex organizations
Why General Motors?
At GM, we’ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles. And to achieve our goals, we’re currently undergoing one of the largest Information Technology transformations in the history of the automotive industry.
GM IT is a leader in cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing “Fortune 5” firm that is re-inventing IT with a laser focus on Innovation, Speed, and Business Value.
Join our team and experience Information Technology at a scale and pace not seen before!
Primary Location: US-TX-Austin
Posting Date : Dec 14, 2012, 4:03:28 PM - Ongoing
Job: Information Technology
General Motors - 19 months ago
Growth opportunities at GM for talented people are as wide as the world.
From the design and engineering of new state-of-the-art plants...