The Psychiatrist is responsible for treating all psychiatric patients for San Jose and Pleasanton markets. This position requires majority of clinical hours and minimal administrative responsibilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. Coordinates care and treatment of patients with acute and chronic conditions for Southern CA markets.
2. Authorizes monitors and directs inpatient psychiatric utilization in Southern CA markets.
3. Utilize clinical expertise to evaluate care provided in each specialty area for appropriateness.
4. Monitors supplies, clinic environment for compliance with regulatory standards.
5. Collaborates with the Clinical Manager in monitoring educational programs, family education programs and consults to ensure consistency in delivery of message to educate patients and families considering social and financial limitations, and cultural barriers.
6. Research and development of new and innovative approaches for care and treatment of chronic conditions.
7. Participate in the management of all Mental Health programs within the clinics specified/assigned.
8. Develop and maintain strong provider relationships.
9. Maintain a customer-driven passion for excellence and commitment to innovation and implementation of ideas that improve the healthcare of the patient population.
10. Identify barriers affecting the delivery of care and intervene with solutions.
11. Execute and implement timely and high-quality decisions.
12. Coordinate with Regional Medical Directors and GMs in Southern CA markets.
13. Reports to Senior Medical Officer and the Clinical Manager for Behavioral Medicine and Psychiatry operations including functions and responsibilities of all staff within CareMore Behavioral Medicine of California.
May be asked to perform the following clinical duties:
1. Provide care to patients in some clinics in the LA/OC in the event of serious coverage gaps.
2. Provide direct care to patients admitted to area psychiatric hospitals in the LA/OC area.
3. Provide consultation to area psychiatric hospitals in Southern CA markets.
4. Conduct conference calls with case managers to review patients and discuss discharge needs and plans.
5. Willing to be on-call after hours or the weekends when needed or necessary.
6. Collaborate with physicians, nurse practitioners, psychiatric nurses, psychologists, social workers, and other professionals to discuss treatment plans to promote the health and well-being of patients.
7. Gather and maintain patient information and records, including social or medical histories obtained from patients, relatives, or other professionals.
8. Prescribe, direct, or administer psychotherapeutic treatments, or medications to treat mental, emotional, or behavioral disorders.
9. Design individualized care plans, using a variety of treatments.
10. Examine or conduct laboratory or diagnostic tests on patient to provide information on general physical condition and mental disorder.
11. Counsel (minimal) outpatients and other patients during office visits.
12. Advise and inform guardians, relatives, and significant others of patients’ conditions and treatments.
13. Review and evaluate treatment procedures and outcomes of other psychiatrists and medical professionals (i.e. nurse practitioners, physician assistants, etc.).
14. Rounds in psychiatric hospitals to see patients when necessary.
15. See patients in the hospital or emergency room when hospitalists/emergency physicians request a psychiatric evaluation or consult only when needed or necessary.
16. Admit patients to psychiatric hospital only when needed.
17. Perform chart reviews for all medical and behavioral providers when needed and necessary.
18. Able to return calls after hours from patients and other medical providers or case managers when needed.
19. Able to return calls from patients when they need guidance, information, and clarification from the treatment given.
20. Teach or do in-service educational programs to mental health providers in order to increase understanding of mental, emotional, and behavioral states and disorders.
21. Able to supervise and train psychiatric nurse practitioners when needed.
1. Administrative responsibilities: 10%, Clinical responsibilities: 90%
2. Carry out responsibilities in accordance with organization policies and applicable laws.
3. Contribute to the development of evidence based educational programs.
4. Participate in the evaluation and collection of data measuring the effectiveness of care provided.
5. Provide objective data for the evaluation of Clinical Team Members for the calculation of AIP if indicated.
6. Address and monitor patient concerns or complaints.
7. Travel to all behavioral medicine and mental health / substance clinics within the assigned clinic as needed.
8. Monitor outcomes and develop region specific interventions that bring about improved health of
CareMore Behavioral Medicine Members at the same time increasing the clinical performance of the Behavioral Medicine Team in the assigned market or clinic.
9. Provide education and training of Behavioral Medicine Staff.
10. Insure the guidelines and policies and procedures of CareMore and the Senior Medical Officer for Behavioral Medicine and Psychiatry are being followed.
Skills and Abilities
1. Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
a. The ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
b. Possesses the ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization in a variety of settings.
c. Possess the skills and abilities to complete legal reports that are within the scope of practice of the Clinician.
2. Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
3. Reasoning Skills: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a high variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
4. Computer Skills: Advanced computer skills.
5. Other Skills and Abilities:
a. Knowledge of medical terminology.
b. Must be able to work under limited supervision.
c. Demonstrate the ability to adapt to changes in the workload.
d. Demonstrate a consistent level of performance; maintain a steady level of productivity.
e. Demonstrate effective social and communicative ability, and convey information appropriately.
f. Demonstrate an even temperament, positive demeanor, and works well with others.
g. Demonstrate accurate record keeping and documentation of work performance.
Performance Factors include but are not limited to:
1. Compliance: Complies with all State and Federal laws and regulations governing our business. Reports suspected compliance issues timely to include allegations of fraud and abuse.
2. Dependability : Punctuality, attendance, meeting deadlines, and requires minimal supervision. Provides proper notification and/or uses proper call-in procedures when absent.
3. External Customer Service: Interaction with patients, vendors, guests, hospitals, etc. Attempts to meet and exceed customer expectations and resolve concerns.
4. Initiative: Demonstrates self-motivating abilities, enthusiasm, resourcefulness, and creativity in the workplace. Seeks to resolve problems, not to be held back by obstacles.
5. Integrity: Demonstrates sound business ethics and abides by CareMores code of conduct. Follows all company policies and procedures.
6. Internal Customer Service: Interaction with co-workers, other CareMore departments, etc. Promotes teamwork, recognizing fellow employees for a job well done
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear.
The employee is frequently required to walk; stand; reach with hands and arms.
The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Will require travel by car to assigned clinic/clinics.
May require testifying in court.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Board certified Psychiatrist
Licensed in the State of California
Valid/Updated Prescriptive License in the State of California
4. Valid California Driver’s license
Once an offer is accepted, all external applicants are subject to a background investigation
and if appropriate, drug testing. Offers of employment shall be contingent upon
passing both the background investigation and drug testing (if required).
associate referral process on WorkNet. Official guidelines for the associate referral
- Current WellPoint associates: All referrals must be submitted through the formal
program can be found in My HR.
CareMore - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard
WellPoint, Inc. (WellPoint) is a health benefits company serving 35 million medical members, as of December 31, 2008. The Company is an...