INSTRUCTOR, TEACHER EDUCATION
LIBERAL ARTS & SCIENCES
CLOSING DATE : Until filled
NATURE OF WORK :
Under the supervision of the Associate Dean, to teach college parallel sociology courses and other related courses as assigned. Related departmental responsibilities include participation in division and departmental activities, student advising and performance of other duties as assigned.
1. Must have a Master’s degree in Sociology; or a Master’s degree in a related social science field with eighteen (18) graduate credits in Sociology of Urban Educational Foundations/Educational Policy; post-graduate courses are desirable.
2. Must have two (2) years (4,000 hours) of work experience not related to the field of education.
3. Must have education and/or experience (preferably both) in working with adults who need developmental instruction.
4. Two (2) years of teaching experience in Educational Foundations or Educational Policy at the secondary or post-secondary level is desirable.
5. Must be able to communicate effectively through both oral and written means.
6. Must be able to relate successfully with students and staff.
7. Must have experience in instructional technology (Multi Media and Internet).
8. Must have knowledge of student assessment issues.
9. Must meet Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) instruction certification requirements.
10. Must have experience in online teaching and course development.
11. Must meet Higher Learning Commission (HLC) standards (if applicable).
12. Must be able to relate successfully with students and staff of diverse cultural, social and educational backgrounds.
13. Teaching – Must embrace and demonstrate the MATC Core Abilities and Standards of Teaching Excellence in development and delivery of instruction.
14. Must be knowledgeable about Wisconsin State Teaching and Learning Standards, including P1 34 PRAXIS requirements.
15. Knowledge of and experience with engaged and service learning strongly preferred.
16. Must have worked for or with Milwaukee Public Schools
17. Teaching – Must embrace and demonstrate the MATC Core Abilities and Standards of Teaching.
MATC Core Abilities
Standards of Teaching Excellence
- Communicate effectively
- Collaborate with others
- Respect diversity
- Demonstrate responsibility
- Think critically and creatively
- Utilize technology
- Apply math and science
- Demonstrate environmental responsibility
- Embrace change
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
- Understanding Students and Fostering Student Success
- Classroom Management
- Content Mastery and Currency
- Teaching Methodology
- Assessment of Student Learning
- Professional Contributions
1. Ability to lift 50 pounds with or without accommodation
2. Ability to sit or stand for class duration with or without accommodation
ESSENTIAL TECHNOLOGY :
1. Email - Experience with an Email system (GroupWise, Outlook, Gmail…)
2. Telephone - Experience with a voice mail system
3. Computer - Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
SUPPORTIVE TECHNOLOGY :
Experience with or willingness to learn the following supportive technologies:
1. Online Information Management Systems - Experience with INFOnline or other online information management systems used for student advising, student programs, grading, class schedules and rosters
2. Blackboard - Experience with Blackboard or other web-based course - management systems
3. Technology-based Instruction - Experience with technology-based instructional delivery systems including SMART symposium, interactive touch screen monitors, LCD projectors, DVD players and/or other classroom technology
4. Emerging Technologies - Experience with emerging technologies (i.e. social networking applications)
5. (Optional) Distance Learning Instruction - Experience with on-line, two-way video, ITV, and other methods of distance learning instruction
Salary is based upon education and experience. A Master’s degree and three years of related experience would gross an approximate beginning salary of $38.99 hourly.