Are you looking for a unique internship opportunity to gain valuable work experience? An internship with the Department of the Air Force offers challenging work, and the satisfaction of knowing you've made a difference. We're offering you an exciting opportunity to gain real world experience as an Intern in the Pathways Program.
This is a Pathways Student Internship opportunity managed by the Force Renewal Program and centrally funded by the Air Force's Central Salary Account (CSA). The Internship offers valuable work experience directly related to your academic field of study. This is your opportunity to begin a successful Federal civilian career with the United States Air Force. As an Intern, you will be given the opportunity to gain the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to pursue a successful career with the US Air Force and upon completing your degree and meeting conversion eligibility requirements, be eligible for placement in a permanent position. However, it is important to remember that eligibility for conversion does not guarantee you will be offered a permanent position. The length of Internship is normally two years or when you complete your academic program and degree requirements.
Initial Appointment/Conversion: On initial appointment or conversion, entry grade "MAY BE" GS-04- GS-09 depending on level of education, mission, and career field requirements.
Be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Meet suitability for Federal employment
Be at least 16 years of age
Enrolled at least half-time at a qualifying institution
Must sign a Participant Agreement
--Knowledge of basic occupational theory, principles, concepts, and practices in the technical area of safety and
- Performs selected tasks and phases of routine studies and projects that require application of basic occupational field theory and principles in the technical area of safety and Occupational Health.
--Ability to follow instructions and guidance to complete assigned tasks and communicate information to others in oral or written format.
- Participates with senior personnel in conducting non-routine projects.
- Provides assistance in planning, monitoring, and conducting special studies, projects, and initiatives. --Ability to analyze problems, identify significant factors, gather and interpret pertinent data, and apply established rules and procedures in order to recommend effective solutions.
RECOMMENDED AREAS OF STUDY: Seeking a degree in safety or occupational health fields (safety, occupational health, industrial hygiene), or degree in other related fields that included or was supplemented by at least 24 semester hours of study from among the following (or closely related) disciplines: safety, occupational health, industrial hygiene, occupational medicine, toxicology, public health, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biological sciences, engineering, organizational psychology, and industrial psychology.
This position has an education requirement. You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
You must be a student currently enrolled in an accredited college or university:
NOTE: U.S. citizenship is required for a noncompetitive conversion to a permanent or term appointment with the Department of the Air Force.
- Accepted for enrollment or are enrolled in an approved program
- Pursing a Baccalaureate Degree (Junior/Senior only), Graduate or Professional Degree
- Enrollment must be at least half-time course load as defined by the education institution (typically six hours or equivalent for undergraduate and three hours or equivalent for graduate)
- Have a good academic standing (no less than 2.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 grading scale)
- Meet the qualification standards of the position
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- A U.S. citizen or a national (resident of American Samoa or Swains Island). Non-citizens may be eligible for employment if:
- Permitted by the DoD Appropriation Act
- Eligible to work under U.S. immigration laws
Applicants must meet requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applications will be evaluated against the Air Force unique qualification standard for student employment. Qualified candidates will be considered in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management Pathways Guidelines .
Veterans' Preference does apply in the recruitment and hiring procedures of Interns under the Pathways program. Selections made under this notice will be processed as new appointments to the civil service. Incomplete applications that do not include supporting documentation may be eliminated from consideration. Applicants, who disqualify themselves, in the occupational questionnaire, will not be evaluated further. Your application may not receive appropriate consideration without the required supporting documentation. Falsifying your background, education, and/or experience is cause for not hiring you or removal after hiring.
Department of the Air Force offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays and a 401K-type retirement plan. For more information, visit: http://www.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/Interactive/Benefits#icc
Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, who are 18 but not yet 26 years old, must be registered with the selective service system (or have an exemption) to be eligible for federal employment. For additional information or to register, click here .
The entire period served under the Internship Program counts as the participant's trial period.
Interns may work part-time or full-time schedules.
Interns may be considered for noncompetitive conversion to a term or permanent appointment within 120 days of completion of degree requirements, if they meet the following:
1. A U.S. citizen
2. Successfully complete academic course of study with a GPA of at least 2.95 (GPA 3.1 for certain engineer positions)
3. Complete a minimum of 640 hours of work experience under the Internship Program
4. Meet the OPM Qualification requirements for the position the intern may be converted to
5. Maintain acceptable performance
"It is important to remember that eligibility for conversion does not guarantee the agency will offer conversion."
DIRECT DEPOSIT : All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force...