The Director of the Simulation Lab will provide leadership in all aspects of the Lab including but not limited to healthcare simulation training, assessment, evaluation of student’s knowledge and skills within the center; meeting the goals of the institutional specific missions; improve the quality of healthcare, improve the patient safety outcomes and work with all clinical disciplines and statewide network partners to promote best practice utilization of simulation in clinical education and research locally and nationally.
Under the direction of the Center for Improvement of Teaching and Learning Director, the Director of the Simulation Lab will provide comprehensive support to clinical education, skill development and assessment, as well as collaborating as a multi-disciplinary and interdepartmental Lab.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Reports to and seeks guidance from the Director of CITL in meeting the goals of DMU mission.
- Seeks guidance from the CITL Advisory committee ( and SPAL/SIM Sub-committee of the CITL advisory committee) to develop a center that is implementing best practices and using a data-driven approach that is a part of a continuing curriculum improvement model.
- Cooperates and adheres to policies and procedures established for mentorship from the Director of Center for Improving Teaching and Learning for professional development in role of Director of Simulation Lab.
- Cooperates and adheres to policies and procedures established by Center for Improving Teaching and Learning as it relates to the training, development and performance standards of the administrative and operational staff.
- Learns, understands, supports, and contributes to simulation “best practices” policies and methods established by Center for Improving Teaching and Learning.
- Supports and contributes to DMU’s course development and research agendas established by Center for Improving Teaching and Learning.
- Supports and contributes to local and statewide economic commercialization projects established by the Center for Improving Teaching and Learning to generate revenue for the Simulation/SPAL Labs.
- Provides leadership and instruction in the use of simulation equipment with other Healthcare collaborative partners.
- Leads the continued development of DMU’s course development activities including testing of simulation curriculum and scenarios.
- Integrates Simulation Lab’s educational training, skill development, and assessment methodologies with DMU’s multidisciplinary programs. Development of DMU’s role in training faculty in the use of simulation; development of research initiatives related to the efficacy of simulation in learning.
o Grant development
- Participates and contribute as part of the Center for Improving Teaching and Learning collaborative network
- Plans research projects and use of appropriate research and project management resources to meet research goals
- Assists and/or lead all aspects of assigned research proposals and projects including
o IRB applications
o Defining research problems and protocols
o Data collection
o Data analysis
o Literature reviews
o Research publications and manuscript production
o Collaborate with outside vendors on research projects
o Participate in professional and educational activities to enhance current knowledge base
- Monitors job performance of faculty, staff, and other contributors
- Oversees the technical support for faculty to ensure quality assurance of “best practices” in developing simulation scenarios, course materials and relevance of training
- Develops and implement simulation lab policies, procedures and practices
- Assists with the development of alumni relations activities
- Teams with DMU faculty, management and other stakeholders to achieve annual goals and outcome based initiatives
- Provides data and/or reports to the Center for Improving Teaching and Learning and other relevant Colleges
- Leads the overall administrative and operational management of the center.
o User and trainer of all simulators (high and low fidelity) and associated software programs
- Serve as subject matter expert in the following areas:
o User in all other technical aspects
o Use of the learning management system
o Sophisticated virtual OR and conference capabilities
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Supervises medical, technical and support staff within the Simulation Lab. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Masters degree or higher in a healthcare field required.
Certified in simulation education with a minimum of five years of experience using simulation.
Experience in curriculum development and assessment required.
Educational research experience desired.
Understanding of financial management and strategic planning; proficient in project management and PC applications such as Word and Excel.
Must have an in-depth understanding and profound interest in simulation education and research.
Demonstrated ability to run human patient simulations and other simulators.
Understanding of medical terminology, procedures, and techniques.
Commitment to diversity and inclusivity.
Able to work in collaborative and innovative manner to create nationally recognized organization.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively present to the target audience.
Strong judgment, excellent project management skills, and the ability to effectively problem solve.
Demonstrated personal commitment to excellence.
Adheres to the organizational code of ethics, takes personal responsibility for actions and demonstrates integrity.
Able to work in a dynamic environment and adaptable to change.
Actively expands knowledge base and professional mastery as a life long learner.
Excellent organizational and time management skills plus attention to detail and demonstrated follow-through.