The OC Network Technician’s role is to monitor all network and security infrastructure (hardware, software, circuits, etc.) to ensure high levels of availability and security and maintain communications with appropriate personnel to provide escalation and notification of network and security anomalies.
This individual will focus squarely on providing value to the business by proactively identifying and resolving issues within the environment that would have a negative impact on business services. This individual also participates in the planning and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure system provisioning and maintenance that is consistent with company goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements.
1. Monitor alarms/alerts to identify network and security elements causing network service degradation or failure.
2. Monitor all LAN, WAN and Wireless LAN networks proactively.
3. Monitor and manage all firewalls, Internet Proxies and security devices causing service degradation or outages.
4. Monitor and manage all critical and non-critical network devices from a centralized management point using tools such as CiscoWorks and HP OpenView.
5. Monitor network and security device system resources such as CPU, memory and disk usage etc.
1. Respond to monitoring alerts, incident tickets, and email requests generated by other IT Operations, Network and Security Level 2 support teams.
2. Ensure incidents and monitoring alerts are handled per pre-defined SLA's for response time, updates and closure.
3. Troubleshoot, diagnose and resolve where appropriate all network and security related faults and performance incidents.
4. Escalate issues to the appropriate IT Operational teams or Network/Security Level 2 support teams as needed.
5. Coordination and interaction with telecommunications carriers to facilitate resolution of service affecting issues and outages.
6. Document incident descriptions and detailed problem diagnosis in the IT knowledge management system accurately in accordance with established operational guidelines, processes and procedures.
7. Document incident resolution in the IT knowledge management system (HP Service Manager) in accordance with established operational guidelines, processes and procedures.
8. Review and update the tracking of incidents in the trouble ticketing system as needed.
9. Backup of all network and security device configuration files.
10. Maintain and upgrade the OS versions of all network and security devices to the latest version through the change management process under the direction and supervision of Network/Security Level 2 support teams.
11. Conduct operational shift handover briefings and meetings with shift supervisors, team members and relevant operations managers.
12. Update and maintain network and security infrastructure asset inventory in the CMDB repository.
13. Maintain communication with team members and shift supervisors to ensure prompt technical support of any and all network and security related problems.
14. Provide regular and accurate updates to shift supervisor on network and security incidents, alerts and outages.
Knowledge & Experience
Formal Education & Certification
- Cisco routing and switching (EIGRP/BGP routing)
- Cisco IOS
- Advanced knowledge of TCP/IP
- LAN protocols and technology (HSRP, Spanning Tree, VTP, EtherChannel, 802.1x Network Authentication)
- WAN protocols and technology (MPLS, T-1, E-1, T-3, E-3, OC-3, OC-12, point-to-point, IPsec, MLPPP)
- Wireless technology (Cisco WLC’s, WCS, lightweight AP’s)
- Protocol analyzers (Sniffer, Ethereal/Wireshark)
- Operating Systems (Unix, Windows)
- Knowledge of Network Security infrastructure (Firewalls, Proxy Servers, VPN concentrators)
- Experience with tools such as Ping, Traceroute, NS Lookup, DIG, Traceroute, Netstat, Netsh, etc.
- Administration of Orion NCM, NPM, and APM and HPOV NNM are a plus
- Must understand Internet design and the fundamentals of routing technology
- Experience in problem analysis and troubleshooting network and security hardware components
- Experience in network/security operations, network/security forensics and analysis, event correlation and security threat analysis
- Writing detailed network/security incident reports and documentation. Creating network diagrams using Microsoft Visio
- Strong knowledge of ITIL processes incident, problem, change, and knowledge management
- Experience in maintaining standardized IT environments
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science and/or 5 years equivalent work experience
- 3-5 years’ experience in network and security operations
- CCNA/CCNP certification a plus
- Experience with the HP monitoring suite SiteScope, OVO, OMI
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency, both in communicating technical issues and resolving them
- Ability to understand operational situations, configurations and problems related or described in-person and telephonically
- Ability to effectively work through scenarios and offer suggestions and/or relay technical information in user-friendly language either in-person or telephonically while maintaining a professional attitude and demeanor
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Ability to conduct research into hardware and software issues and products as required
- Adept at reading, writing, and interpreting technical documentation and procedure manuals
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Skilled at working within a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Good time management and prioritization skills
- Self-motivation and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Keen attention to detail.
- Solid documentation skills
- Desire to grow and learn new technologies.
- Able and willing to work a rotating schedule in a 24x7x365 environment.
- Alternating and varying work shifts
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Some travel may be required
Hitachi Data Systems - 14 months ago
Hitachi, which means "risen sun," is looking for a new dawn of profits from its galaxy of businesses. The...