We're one of the fastest-growing companies in Chicago
The Spartz Media Network, including OMG Facts, GivesMeHope, and MuggleNet, attracts 17 million readers across a dozen websites, mobile sites, and apps.
Founded in 2009 and headquartered in Chicago, the company is one of the fastest-growing digital media publishers. Spartz Media’s brands have over 12 million followers on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter. Our communities are passionate and loyal – 60% of our young, highly engaged audience visits a Spartz site every day.
We're hiring the best people in Chicago
So, you want a challenge?
How about processing and analyzing all of the data that comes from running 25+ high traffic web sites?
What about coming to work every day knowing that our product cycles are measured in hours and days compared to weeks and months at other companies?
How about having your work put in front of over 17 million (and growing) people every single month?
If that sounds like fun, we’d love to talk to you. We need someone to help us make sense of all this data. You’ll be joining an incredibly smart and driven technical team responsible for the development, deployment and upkeep of over two dozen high traffic web sites.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Helping evolve an advanced feature testing process for all new major and experimental features and products including observing the critical metrics central to our business.
- Analyzing existing data points & proactively finding your own data points to improve a product or overall product line.
- Fine-tuning product settings in order to optimize KPIs.
- Periodically providing site health diagnostics for each product.
- Implementing A/B & MV tests, then working with in-depth quantitative and qualitative data in order to provide analysis and recommendations.
- Organizing information in dashboards and reports related to data and research.
- Becoming an oracle for other teams in the company when they have questions, providing them insights and answers that only you could figure out.
- Technical - Solid expertise in Excel. Understanding of SQL and how to gather, retain, process & analyze data using a SQL database.
- Analytical - Comfort working with R or SPSS to analyze & process discrete datasets.
- Web Analytics - Understanding of web analytic measurements (CPM, PPV, etc.) and Google Analytics.
- Statistical - Ability to Collect, analyze and apply statistical analysis of a variety of data. Firm understanding of mathematical statistical principles (confidence intervals, regressions, probability distributions, etc.)
- Reporting - Basic understanding of how to understand & analyze data, especially trends, and making recommendations based on that understanding.
We're one of the best places to work in Chicago
- Web Analytics - Experience with online metric products in addition to Google Analytics such as Mixpanel, Flurry, Tapstream, etc.
- Semantics - Comfort understanding how ontologies, RDF & RDFa impact the collection, analysis and recommendation of data & content.
- Big Data - Utilize Map/Reduce (Hadoop) and other processing algorithms to analyze scores of data.
- Programming - Able to use Python, Pandas & Numpy to craft up solutions when Excel isn’t quite cutting it.
- Visualization - Harness the power of Processing ( and other libraries ) to visualize and explore the vast network of Spartz users, connections & traffic.
Full list of reasons to work at Spartz Media.
- Your work will be seen and used by millions of people. We don’t have any external forces ruling us, so we’re driven by our own motivation to build something amazing & impact the world.
- Do what you’re best at. First, we’ll work with you to determine your strengths. Then we’ll make sure you’re spending most of your time on activities that complement your strengths.
- Work with people who inspire you to be better. We are as selective as the top tech companies - we often receive hundreds of applications before we fill a position. We believe if your teammates don’t bring out the best in you, you’re probably on the wrong team.
- Everyone contributes ideas. Regardless of what department you’re in, it’s part of your job. We’re helping to write the rules of a blindingly fast-paced industry and innovation is the lifeblood of our business. Ideas are celebrated and innovation is everyone’s job here. We believe there’s a better way to do everything.
- Do what you love to do. You spend most of your waking life at work. It is vital that you do something that enhances yourself, and society, on a higher level. We’ll do whatever we can to match your tasks to your interests.
- We’re committed to helping you reach your potential. Personal and professional development is a top priority. And we put our money where our mouth is - you’ll have an unlimited budget to spend on learning materials.
- The entire process is run by developers. We use a modified process that focuses on working software, constant communication and visualization of current priorities.
The office environment is fun and energetic. We have napping couches, unlimited free food/drinks (soda, coffee, tea, waffles, cereal, milk, pop, candy, chips), an incredibly popular darts league, and we're in the process of constructing a replica of the Chicago skyline out of energy drink cans. As you can see, Spartz Media is a serious company run by serious people.
We're looking for full-time individual applicants in the Chicago area to work in our downtown office.
Development firms: please do not contact.
Spartz Media - 19 months ago