Veeco Instruments Inc. delivers leading process equipment solutions that drive tomorrow’s technology breakthroughs today. We help our customers — manufacturers of high-brightness light-emitting diodes (LEDs), solar panels, hard disk drives, semiconductor chips, wireless devices and more — to make a more productive, cleaner and sustainable environment, and enable discoveries and products that will change our lives. Veeco is a dynamic, innovative and high-growth company recognized as the best in the markets we serve.
We are seeking a Sr. Director of Technology to define/develop our technology and differentiated product roadmap for new product lines based on market/customer requirements, time-to-market and competitive analysis. This position is responsible for directing the development of leading edge ion source and plasma based process technology and systems for thin film processing particularly for the manufacture of optical thin film components. The Sr. Director of Technology will lead a gifted team of R&D & Applications Scientists and Engineers to enable the successful exectution of goals and objectives.
- Provides technical and organizational leadership for the Advanced Product Development groups including Sources/Systems R&D and Process /Applications R&D.
- Evangelize roadmap and new products within customer base through process / device data, journal and conference papers, customer demos, beta site evaluations and collaborative programs.
- Support sources/system/process technology through product life cycle: in-house process development, customer demos, beta site evaluations, field process qualification, process CIP, and customer specific process customization.
- Workwith customers on requirements and CIP programs.
- Generate and protect IP.
- Use formal scientific methods, ISO 900X procedures and analytical tools as appropriate
- Collaborate and support marketing on process /applications development and demos, and factory/field process qualifications.
- Coordinate with other division directors/managers to organize and staff cross-functional teams to support the Product Life Cycle process and multi-site development efforts.
- Draft and manage a department budget.
- Responsible for assessing the critical skills and staffing levels necessary for the department to meet division business objectives.
- Works with HR on hiring, training and professional staff development to meet department objectives.
- Active participant on site senior management team.
- Ph.D. in physics or engineering.
- 8+ years’ experience in the design and development of plasma based process equipment in a commercial capital equipment company.
- Experience in use of six sigma, Design of Experiments, optical thin film design, ISO 900X procedures preferred.
- Experience in a semiconductor, opto-electronics and/or precision optics volume production fab preferred.
- Understanding of plasma devices including ion sources and grids, physics of sputter deposition, thin film processing and vacuum technology.
- Process development experience.
- Direct experience in both component and systems level hardware and process development.
- Proven strategic and lateral thinking skills as demonstrated by successful identification, development and commercialization of innovative technology.
- Demonstrated customer engagement skills as a technology champion including definition of MRD and CIP programs.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Experience in managing high level technical personnel.
- Experience in preparing proposals and securing external funding preferred.
- Optical thin film design and product development preferred.
Veeco - 2 years ago
Veeco’s process equipment solutions enable the manufacture of LEDs, flexible OLEDs, solar cells, power electronics, hard drives, MEMS...