The Area Chief Engineer is responsible for the management and operation of the mechanical, life/safety, electrical, plumbing, elevators and building envelope for the commercial buildings in the Mid Atlantic Region, and for the supervision of all Mid Atlantic engineers and other on-site mechanical and maintenance staff in the region. The Area Chief is also responsible for the project management for a variety of capital and large operating projects. The Regions portfolio consists of over 9.5 million square feet of office and light industrial properties. Reporting to the Senior Area Director with technical oversight from the Vice President, National Engineering and the Director of Property Conditions, the Area Chief strategically and tactically manages issues that include indoor air quality regulations, building codes, energy management technology, staffing and for operations pertaining to the acquisition of new properties within the region.
· Responsible for the overall management of the mechanical, life/safety, electrical and plumbing operations for the areas commercial buildings and for the start-up of operations of new acquisitions in the area.
· Responsible for the supervision of all Chief Engineers, Building Engineers and other on site mechanical and maintenance staff.
· Manage the flow and schedule of building improvement, maintenance and repair projects.
· Collaborate with the Regional Vice President and Senior Area Director in developing and managing projects, such as upgrading mechanical systems, building renovations, ADA compliance and tenant improvements.
· Under the direction of the Regional Vice President and National Engineering, establish and coordinate the implementation of new building systems technology to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of operations throughout the portfolio.
· Develop, implement and improve procedures related to preventive maintenance, energy management and indoor air quality.
· Create and conduct staff development programs for engineering and operations personnel.
· Participate in market development, due diligence and proposal preparation for new management business.
General and Administrative
· Train, supervise and conduct performance reviews for Chief Engineers and other on-site mechanical and maintenance staff.
· Responsible for overseeing the hiring process for the engineering staff in the region.
· Oversee the coordination of all technical service providers and vendors, including bidding contracts and the monitoring of quality control.
· Assist the Regional Vice President and Senior Area Director in preparing monthly reports and operating and capital budgets for the properties.
· Assist Regional Construction Manager in the development of standards and procedures for the management of tenant construction and improvements in accordance with building rules, regulations and practices.
· Review in conjunction with the Regional Construction Manager, tenant construction drawings to insure all building design requirements are met.
· In collaboration with the Regional Vice President and Senior Area Director, develop and oversee capital improvement and repair projects, building improvement projects and tenant improvement projects.
· Assist in the development of an Asbestos O&M manual.
Operations and Tenant Services
· Monitor staff efforts in the quality and timeliness of completing tenant work order requests.
· Conduct meetings with tenants regarding any concerns related to the buildings mechanical systems, indoor air quality or other issues as required.
· Oversee Chief Engineers and Building Engineers in the implementation of a comprehensive life safety program, including tenant fire drills, system testing, and regulatory compliance.
· Analyze energy usage and demand information and implement operating strategies to reduce costs.
· 10 years of direct experience in the management of mechanical, electrical and plumbing operations for commercial office buildings
· Bachelors degree in Engineering or equivalent experience
· Refrigeration or electrical license preferred
· Experience managing, coaching and training building engineering staff
· Experience implementing companywide policies and procedures relating to the mechanical operations, safety, code compliance and technology utilization
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Proven track record for monitoring and implementing energy conservation measures in a wide variety of commercial properties.
· Experience with proactively managing indoor air quality issues including water leaks and floods
· Knowledge of codes and standards relating to Indoor Air quality
· Familiarity with the USGBC and LEED certification requirements and with Energy Star ratings and labeling requirements
· Experience handling building emergencies such as floods, power outages, inclement weather, earthquakes and bomb threats
· Experience with OSHA, EPA and other regulatory agency requirements including Asbestos O&M Plans and NESHAPS renovation requirements
· Experience with staffing and commissioning newly acquired buildings
· Demonstrated ability to present complex data in order to facilitate analysis and decision-making
· Demonstrated ability to review operating and capital budgets with the ability to reduce costs and recommend ways to enhance company profitability
· Experience with computerized building management systems, preventative maintenance and work order systems
· Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint is required.
CommonWealth REIT (NYSE: CWH) is a real estate investment trust, or REIT, which primarily owns office buildings located throughout the...