The Wastewater Engineer (WWE) position is to perform engineering and project management work on a variety of civil, sanitary and environmental projects related to the collection, treatment, and disposal of wastewater. The WWE also assists in the performance of engineering tasks by subordinate technical staff within ASPA’s Engineering Services and Wastewater Divisions. In addition, the WWE plans, and inspects municipal construction projects and on-going maintenance plans, provides technical engineering expertise and project management skills in planning, design, and construction of sanitary sewer systems and all related sewer-line projects, and assists the Senior Wastewater Engineer, Chief Engineer, and ESD manager with technical and financial matters as well as other work.
Education Bachelor of science degree in an engineering discipline; Active U.S. registration/license as a civil/sanitary/environmental Professional Engineer (required).
Experience Seven (7) years experience in civil wastewater engineering or related work including project management (planning, design and administration); or five (5) years of related work experience in civil engineering wastewater work, including project management, and a Master of Science in Civil or Environmental Engineering; and supervisory experience (preferred).
Job Requirements Knowledge of:
- Planning, design, and inspection of municipal wastewater system construction and maintenance projects;
- US-EPA construction grant programs (preferred);
- Federal and local environmental regulations, US-EPA and AS-EPA drinking water regulations and US-EPA NPDES permit program issues (preferred).
- Managing construction planning and installation of municipal wastewater systems;
- Developing methods and standards for the protection of public health and the environment in response to Federal Clean Water Act requirements and other related laws/regulations;
- Providing technical environmental health guidance to staff, government officials, & public;
- Participating in environmental wastewater system surveys and studies, interpreting findings and reporting on results;
- Planning and conducting technical training for professional and construction staff to ensure competence in safety, quality control and environmental protection activities.