Fulltime contract, exempt position; 35 hours weekly.
Responsible for coordinating, supervising, and planning school crossing guard program and activities; including clerical and administrative responsibilities.
Must be free of felony convictions and some misdemeanor convictions. Position involves competing demands, performing multiple tasks, fast-paced, high volume work environment with competing demands and working to critical deadlines; occasional work beyond normal business hours, and responding to customer issues. SAFETY SENSITIVE POSITION REQUIRES DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING ACCORDING TO CITY POLICY.
First consideration may be given to current City of Las Cruces employees who fully meet the minimum requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Schedules, coordinates, supervises and monitors assigned school crossing guard staff and program activities.
· Conducts hiring processes; placement, training, development, safety, performance evaluation, and discipline of assigned employees.
· Prepares and conducts safety training for school crossing programs. Recommends necessary changes in work procedures and safety programs and proposes the use of appropriate supplies and equipment needed. Records and ensures reporting of all work related injuries.
· Maintains comprehensive files and prepares reports of departmental crossing guard activities.
· Reviews source data and becomes knowledgeable of departmental activities, programs, policies and procedures, municipal rules, regulations and policies.
· Performs field inspections and office work during the course of duties.
· Informs city traffic engineers of any problems with traffic control signals, sidewalks, or markings. Cooperates with Las Cruces Public Schools personnel, city staff, and police officers; attends and participates in school safety meetings and other crossing guard meetings as applicable. Serves as official department representative on issues involving student and other safety issues as they relate to school sites, and other administrative functions.
· Recommends and orders uniforms and equipment needs for guard program.
· Performs related work as assigned.
Equivalent to a high school diploma AND one (1) year of supervisory experience. Prior School Crossing Guard experience is preferred. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
Valid driver’s license is required. Position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Considerable knowledge of LCPD organization, functions, policies and procedures; safety and traffic direction techniques. Knowledge of administrative and personnel management policies and procedures of the assigned department.
Skill in the use of a personal computer and installed generic software. Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
Supervising staff and delegating tasks; researching and compiling technical information, and maintaining official records; assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands; compiling technical and statistical information to prepare reports; effective verbal and written communication; establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers and representatives from other local, state and Federal agencies.
Ability to assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects and demands; communicate effectively in verbal and written forms; establish and maintain effective working relations with employees, officials, other development agencies and the general public; understand and apply LCPD standards and procedures, and applicable Federal rules and regulations.
City of Las Cruces, NM - 17 months ago