Monday through Friday; hours are as needed for success of the business, some media on-call will be required.
The Director of Internal Communications is responsible for helping the YMCA of Middle Tennessee transform the organizations key strategies and objectives into actions and behaviors that fulfill our nonprofit mission and strategic vision. Under the direction of the Director of Communications/Content Strategy and in cooperation with other YMCA staff, the Director of Internal Communications will work proactively to introduce and apply internal communications best practices to help staff members at all levels understand their role in the organizations mission and vision and how they should think, act and communicate in order for the Y to succeed.
Four-year college degree, preferably in Journalism, Communications or a related field.
Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in Communications. Previous experience in internal communications is highly desired.
Superior writing, editing and storytelling abilities (a writing sample will be required).
Strong critical thinking skills and an ability to think and act strategically
Strong verbal and inter-personal communication skills, including an ability and comfort level interacting with staff at all levels
An ability to distill and communicate complex topics in ways that improve and aid staff understanding
Prior experience helping lead or coordinate organizational change initiatives a big plus.
Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and other software products; prior experience using Microsoft SharePoint for communications purposes a plus.
Strong organization and strategic planning skills and an ability to work under tight deadlines when necessary
A resilient attitude and ability to persevere when faced with difficult or challenging circumstances.
1.Proactively work with senior management to identify and understand the organizations overall strategies as well as potential obstacles that may keep it from being successful.
2. Educate senior managers about different approaches to internal communicationfrom informal face-to-face to electronic publications to large eventsthat may be necessary to help employees understand the big picture strategy and translate it into actionable steps they can take to achieving the organizations goals.
3. Serve as the bridge between the Communications/Marketing, Membership, People Services and other key teams to coordinate internal messaging in ways that help staff understand the big picture, their role in it, and what is expected of them in terms of performance and behavior.
4. In cooperation with the Director of Learning Experiences and others, identify and raise awareness of training opportunities that can help align staff members actions with the organizations goals and overall business strategies.
5. Develop, create and presents to the senior team for approval an annual Internal Communications Plan that:
Furthers the organizations key strategies
Addresses key senior management problems/frustrations that are serving as a barrier to the organizations change initiative
Increases staff understanding, pride and engagement with the Ys mission and purpose
Solicits, measures and assesses staff feedback and understanding of key strategic and internal communications initiatives, (i.e. do staff know why the web site was designed the way it was; how do they feel about the new grant procurement process?)
Works to further goals related to staff leadership development, satisfaction and retention
6. Maintain editorial oversight and governance of SharePoint and other key internal communication channels (e.g. staff newsletter, presentations, videos), including the planning, creation, resourcing and management of content needed to support the Internal Communications Plan.
7. Play a strategic role in furthering the YMCA of Middle Tennessees implementation of YMCA of the USAs national brand revitalization strategy.
8. When warranted, conduct media/public relations and serve as secondary YMCA spokesperson
Submit cover letter and resume to Jessica Fain, SVP of Marketing, Communications & Information Strategy
Jessica P. Fain
Phone: 615-259-9622 ext. 70151
Our Mission: A worldwide charitable fellowship united by a common loyalty to Jesus Christ for the purpose of helping people grow in spirit, mind and body.
YMCA of Middle Tennessee - 23 months ago
YMCA of the USA is the national resource office for the nation's 2,663 YMCAs, which serve nearly 20.2 million people each year, including...