Directs the overall operations and staff of a comprehensive and complex social services program. Directs the day-to-day operations through subordinate managers and supervisors. Plans and develops policies, procedures and programs to accomplish goals and objectives. Oversees and performs managerial, consultative, technical and administrative work, develops and recommends strategic plans and new program initiatives, and directs and prepares annual budget.
This is a job classification within the Social Services job family. This classification is responsible for directing the operations and staff of a comprehensive and complex social services program. This classification is distinguished from the Social Services Manager by the responsibility for developing strategic plans, goals and objectives, initiatives, and budget for a large, comprehensive, complex program or programs. The classification has a broad scope of operational and staff responsibility and typically directs through subordinate managers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides routine supervision to licensed social workers which includes coaching, motivating, clinical support, suggesting growth and development opportunities as well as licensure confirmation and administrative supervision of performance.
- Manages clinical oversight of services including crisis intervention and safety implications for individuals, families and children including harm to self or others and abuse and neglect reporting.
- Supports community initiatives through attendance, participation and facilitation of community meetings. Collaborates with others to develop the structure, and needed support to implement the objective(s) of the community initiative.
- Completes written documents: performance evaluation of staff and programs; grant proposals; forms, policies and procedures.
- Develops and implements new projects/initiatives: completes the research, develops a plan of implementation, and locates the resources (budget and personnel) to achieve the plan, completes the budget and court proposal and provides direct oversight and technical assistance to the project.
- Provides contract development and monitoring: develops work statements and performance measures for contracts, completes site visits, reviews program files and verifies delivery of services as per contract and provides technical assistance.
- Provides agency and community trainings on various subjects that promote best practice methods. Provides educational and makes presentations to multiple stakeholders including provider groups, community members, funders, and Commissioners Court.
- Ensures success of division in performance by monitoring reviews by federal state and Travis County funders including HUD, TDHCA, TC Auditor, The Children's Partnership, and Travis County CDBG.
- Analyzes program strengths and viability including existing and potential programs.
- Projects budget and manages funds.
- Directs the planning and operations of a comprehensive and complex social services program. Directs subordinate managers and staff, including hiring, training, performance evaluation, disciplinary actions and dismissals, ensuring activities are consistent with policies, procedures, laws, regulations, goals and objectives. Creates opportunities for improved performance, learning and development of staff, and identifies and addresses problems or conflicts.
- Directs and participates in the planning, developing and establishing of goals and objectives. Develops strategic plans, policies and programs to accomplish the goals and objectives.
- Directs the service delivery and program operations. Oversees the establishing of procedures and priorities and directs the monitoring of activities and assignments to achieve desired results. Resolves problems.
- Evaluates effectiveness of programs and operations and develops new and modified initiatives to improve effectiveness. Directs the implementation and monitoring of new and existing programs.
- Provides high-level technical advice, policy interpretation and guidance for application of appropriate procedures to managers and other staff.
- Directs and participates in development of annual program budget. Directs ongoing administration of approved budget and oversees expenditures. Prepares proposals for funding or funding continuation, as required.
- Represents the organization and collaborates with governmental and public agency representatives, community outreach and advocacy groups, service providers and others. Plans, develops and directs a variety of community development and community organizing activities. Identifies and resolves service gaps and barriers, stimulates interest in programs and services.
- Directs the development of, and participation in training and education programs for clients, social service providers, community organizations and others.
- Prepares periodic reports, financial analysis and statistical reports on program activities, results and performance.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Social or Behavioral Sciences or a directly related field AND seven (7) years increasingly responsible experience in social services, including two (2) years of supervisory or management experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Valid Texas Driver's License.
Strongly prefer Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Management and supervisory principles, practices and techniques.
- Program administration and oversight techniques.
- Policies, practices and procedures within area of assignment.
- Federal, State and Local program laws and requirements.
- Advocacy groups, social service providers and community outreach organizations.
- Budgetary practices and techniques.
- Modern office practices, procedures and methods.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation.
- Strategic planning, development, monitoring and evaluation of social service programs and services.
- Supervising others, allocating resources and evaluating programs.
- Leadership and community collaboration.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Developing and monitoring program budgets.
- Operating a variety of modern office equipment, including a computer.
- Both verbal and written communication, including presentations.
- Direct, motivate, train, develop and evaluate staff.
- Serve as technical consultant and liaison.
- Create and recommend program initiatives.
- Prepare administrative and statistical reports.
- Communicate effectively.
- Work independently.
- Manage time well and perform multiple tasks, and organize diverse activities.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies and providers, other County employees and officials, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 25 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, twisting, balancing, repetitive motion, driving, client/customer contact, and squatting to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
Works some nights
Location: 100 N. IH 35, Austin
Department: Health & Human Services
Criminal, Education & Employment Background Check Required
Travis County - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard