San Francisco, CA
Riverbed is about changing the rules. Forget about how things work today – join us as we solve the problems of the future. Do you thrive on change? Do you like the constant challenge of the new? Do you value simplicity? Our intelligent insights and hard work makes things easy for our customers so we can enable them to serve their customers. Can you help us deliver technology without disruptions – technology that just works?
Riverbed delivers performance for the globally connected enterprise. With Riverbed, enterprises can successfully and intelligently implement strategic initiatives such as virtualization, consolidation, cloud computing, and disaster recovery without fear of compromising performance. By giving enterprises the platform they need to understand, optimize and consolidate their IT, Riverbed helps enterprises to build a fast, fluid and dynamic IT architecture that aligns with the business needs of the organization. Riverbed offers the rewarding experience of working with the best minds in the industry who are changing the world through cutting edge technology and applications. If you are a cross-functional collaborator with the ability to see and link the pieces of the big picture together join us and help us create the world of the future.
The Senior Linux Administrator reports to the Manager, I.T. and is directly responsible for designing and supporting the Linux infrastructure. This position is focused on production enterprise application delivery. This position interacts directly with all I.T. functional areas (e.g. I.T. Architecture, Network Engineering, Helpdesk/Desktop Support, Security & Compliance and Applications Development & Support). The successful candidate must excel at multi-tasking and have the ability to ramp up quickly in a dynamic, high-tech environment. The candidate will possess in-depth technical skills.
- Manage a 24/7 always on multi-tier Linux application delivery environment.
- Linux administration, performance tuning, monitoring, maintaining fault tolerance, and account management.
- Proactive monitoring of server systems.
- Disaster Recovery management and testing.
- Participates in the development of policies, procedures, and resources that standardize the functioning of the IT infrastructure.
- Development of information security requirements, guidance and standards.
- Troubleshoot hardware, operating system, and application software problems.
- Provide escalation support to other system administrators.
- On-call rotation as needed.
Why Riverbed Technology?
- B.S. Engineering / C.S. / MIS degree highly desirable.
- In-depth knowledge (3+ years) of Linux (Debian and/or Redhat) administration and multi-tier application production operations.
- 2 -3 years’ experience administering VMware ESX.
- Experience with Linux performance monitoring, tuning, troubleshooting, and security hardening.
- Strong knowledge of Apache, Tomcat, PHP, Java, SMTP, DHCP, DNS, NIS, LDAP, CIFS, NFS, Postfix, BIND, SNMP, load balancers, and Linux system security.
- Strong system configuration experience (Puppet or CFEngine).
- Strong scripting (Shell, PHP, or Perl) skills a must.
- System monitoring (Zenoss, HP OpenView, etc).
- Strong database experience. MySQL replication and clustering highly preferred.
- Working knowledge of vSphere 5 environments.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a team of senior system administrators.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be proactive, able to work with little to no supervision, detailed orientated and possess a strong work ethic.
- Must be willing to work some weekend shifts in support of maintenance and participate in on-call rotation duties. Must have operations experience in 24x7 environments.
If you are a high-achiever who wants to be part of a dynamically growing, billion dollar plus San Francisco-based company, then you should look closely at Riverbed. If you want to rapidly develop your career with a company that is also a great place to work, Riverbed should be at the top of your list. Riverbed recently won recognition from two of the most well-reputed barometers of the work environment. We are the Glassdoor “Employees’ Choice” award winner as one of the top places to work, ranking #3 overall and #1 in enterprise companies. Additionally, we’ve been recognized with a Sloan award for work-life balance, which underscores our core values at Riverbed. If you can add to Riverbed’s collective talent and unique culture, then this job might be right for you!
Additional information about Riverbed (NASDAQ : RVBD ) is available at
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer. M/F/D/V.
Linux, shell, php, Zenoss, Perl, puppett, MySQL, Apache, Java, Tomcat, SMTP, DHCP, DNS, NIS, LDAP, CIFS, NFS, Postfix, BIND, SNMP, load balancers, and Linux system security.
Riverbed Technology, Inc. - 20 months ago