Safeway Inc., a Fortune 100 Company, is one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America with 1,600+ stores. The Safeway family of brands includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity, spirit and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S. and Canada.
Diversity is fundamental at Safeway. We foster an inclusive working environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible through the diversity of our people. And a diverse workforce leads to better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
The Information Technology Department has an opening for a Senior Oracle Database Admin (DBA). This position will be located in Pleasanton, California.
A senior member of a small cross-functional core team focused on providing a Centre of excellence for Oracle Databases within the wider build team. As a member of this team, the DBA will be focus in implementing scalable systems and databases (OLTP, OLAP, EDW, ODS) solutions for new and on-going development of Safeway applications.
Candidates must be experienced in building, installing and deploying Oracle RAC, Dataguard and OEM configuration using automation; SQL or Database tuning of complicated queries generated by applications, BI tools; including physical database design; administration of development and production objects in a change control fashion; creation of users and databases; assignment of appropriate privileges; back-up and recovery using Netbackup; implementation of security functions for compliance; monitoring system resource utilization, and development of performance and capacity plan to proactively determine if the system is capable of support future growth. The DBA will work closely with other TSG Engineers and vendors to develop database design, Implementation, and support of these critical systems.
• BS/BA in Computer Science, Business Administration, or related.
• Oracle 11g Certified
• 7+ years of relevant Oracle 11g database administration experience handling 4- 70+ TB databases.
• Experience in building, installing and configuring Oracle Databases using RAC and Dataguard
• Experience in applying upgrades and patches without any outage to the environment.
• Hands-on Experience in building, installing and deploying Oracle RAC using automation is required.
• Experience in configuring OEM for monitoring and database design, Application Development, SQL tuning, and performance analysis of large databases.
• Experience in backup and recovery design using Flash Copy and Netbackup with large databases
• Experience with Linux (OEL, Redhat and/or SUSE).
• Demonstrated skills working with Application Servers ( Websphere or Weblogic preferred).
• Experience with ETL Solutions (Datastage) and BI Tools (MicroStrategy) is preferred.
• Must be able to identify and resolve performance bottlenecks (at any layer) on the server supporting the database including identifying SQL performance issues.
• 4+ years’ experience with direct development support. Must be able to write and run code using SQL or PL/SQL
• Demonstrated use of UNIX scripting language, Stored Procedures, Triggers and Views.
• Genuine desire to provide superior customer service.
• Excellent oral and written skills with the ability to interact with senior management, technical subject matter experts, and business customers are essential in this role.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Build, Maintain and support databases/instances required by application, vendor and project teams.
• Create and code scripts required for automation for building Oracle RAC.
• Install and configure Oracle Databases in a RAC configuration including replication between local and across data centers.
• Apply Oracle patches and upgrades as required.
• Configure OEM and other monitoring tool or daily maintenance jobs.
• Provide daily development support to application teams including database connectivity, configuration (index creation, database layout, schema changes) and Data migration.
• Provide performance monitoring during all phases of the Application’s development lifecycle.
• Responsible for trouble shooting Database issues including collecting information through traces and other logging facilities.
• Provide Database configuration for optimal performance including Database Partitioning.
• Provide complete and thorough documentation and run books to production DBAs.
• Develop database backup and recovery strategies for the application.
Respond to: Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by visiting www.CareersAtSafeway.com.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
For many Americans, "going to Safeway" is synonymous with "going to the grocery store." Safeway is one of North...