Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization dedicated to the strategic planning, implementation, and support of technology products and services that anticipate and meet the academic, research, and business needs of the Tufts community. TTS offers technical leadership and services to our customers with a focus on providing innovative solutions, delivering exceptional customer service, and creating a reliable infrastructure that demonstrates value to the students, faculty, staff, and alumni of Tufts University. TTS works in partnership with schools, business units, and other academic support organizations to provide campus-wide IT services in the areas of academic and research technology, enterprise application systems and services, networking and telecommunications, information security, data center operations, web services, classroom and computer lab technology support, and user support, training and outreach.
Reporting to the Team Lead of IT Client Support Services, the Sr. IT Client Support Specialist is responsible for providing high-end, expert-level Tier 2 frontline user support and desktop assistance for Tufts faculty, staff and students as well as advanced technology support and troubleshooting for classrooms and public, instructional, and research computer labs in a multiple building setting. Key responsibilities of this position include responding to a variety of support requests in-person or remotely; performing technical troubleshooting; workstation builds/rebuilds; installing operating systems; software/hardware installs; patching systems and protecting against viruses/malware; and troubleshooting peripheral and mobile devices. In addition, this position will act as escalation point and provide coaching and mentoring for IT Client Support Specialists and other colleagues; provide technical troubleshooting, training, and instructor support on a wide variety of classroom and web/video conferencing technologies; consult with departments to gain an in-depth understanding of their technology needs; provide advanced level support for complex environments (ex. research or clinical laboratories), and situations (ex. security breaches) ;provide ad-hoc training to the user community; and regularly create documentation to contribute to the knowledgebase. S/he will use available technical tools, such as the knowledge base, remote management suite, and a service-management database, to support their work and will often deal with a wide range of users with varying levels of computer familiarity.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 4 years OR High School diploma and 5+ years of experience in the direct delivery of IT support and network services.
- Strong technical skills in the configuration, installation, and troubleshooting of Microsoft Windows (all versions), Mac OS 8.0 and above, Microsoft Office Suite, Mozilla email and web clients, Telnet clients, SSH clients, Antivirus software, TCP/IP, and imaging software and well as experience troubleshooting peripherals (printers, scanners) and handheld devices (mobile, tablets, PDAs).
- Experience using remote desktop management tools, such as LANDesk Management Suite.
- Knowledge of desktop security and standards (security/networking).
- Working knowledge of local area networks and network administration.
- Experience with IMAP, LDAP, Microsoft ActiveSync, Active Directory and group policies, data recovery tools, Microsoft Exchange, WINS, DHCP, DNS, and TCP/IP.
- Demonstrated expert experience in two or more of the following:
- Unix/Linux installation, configuration and troubleshooting including Redhat, Unbuntu and Mandriva distributions
- Endpoint Systems Management (e.g LANDesk, BigFix Tivoli, Altiris, MS SCCM, Kace, etc) software deployment and patch creation
- Configuration, setup, and support of laboratory instrumentation and complex lab functions in a sciences/research setting
- Signifant experience implementing endpoint security processes and protocols (scanning, data gathering, forensics, incident response management)
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure or Virtual Application technology (e.g. VMWare, Citrix)
- Successful development and delivery a major training and documentation initiative related to technology
- Advanced support in a clinical environment
- Providing dedicated advanced support to large group of executive/VIP clients with specialized, non-standard technology needs
- System and Application administration for department-level technologies (e.g. database applications, business process applications, web administration, etc)
- Strong technical and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills in dealing with a wide range of users with varying levels of computer familiarity.
- Ability to translate technical instructions into easily understood steps to a diverse client base comprised of students, faculty, and staff.
- Knowledge and understanding of effective practices for IT service delivery and support.
- Strong customer service skills including rapid response time, appropriate and timely escalation and problem resolution, and appropriate follow-up communications.
- Strong organizational and time management skills including the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and individually manage a changing workload and schedule.
- Proven ability to perform well under stress when confronted with emergency, critical or unusual customer situations. Ability to maintain a strong sense of urgency.
- Ability to work in a wide variety of settings and situations including classrooms, labs, and administrative buildings. Must be able to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Ability to quickly learn new technical skills.
- Ability to interface with vendors for installation and troubleshooting of issues.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
- MSCE, A+, Network +, CCNA, ACMT, ITIL or other industry standard certifications.
- Significant experience with IMAP, LDAP, Microsoft ActiveSync, Active Directory and group policies, data recovery tools, Microsoft Exchange, backup strategies, WINS, DHCP, DNS, and TCP/IP.
- Experience providing technical support and services to classroom and computer lab environments. Experience with DVD/VHS/CD components, Crestron, digital audio and video, projection systems and screens.
- May be required to work additional hours when under periods of high call volume or confronted with emergency, critical, or unusual situations that require additional time to troubleshoot and resolve.
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.
InsideHigherEd.com - 4 months ago