Senior Project Manager (IT) - Cargill Animal Nutrition (CAN)
Cargill is a unique place to grow your career, your experience and your abilities.
Every day, we grow our reputation as a leading international producer of food, agricultural, financial and industrial products and services. We take pride in our global reach, ability to contribute, and strong work ethics and values.
Founded in 1865, Cargill is a privately held company and employs 142,000 people in 65 countries with annual revenues in excess of $133.9 billion. Through innovation, creativity and teamwork, we are transforming entire markets and
At Cargill Feed & Nutrition we develop and market a broad range of animal feeds and customized animal productivity solutions direct to commercial producers in more than 20 countries across North and South America, Europe and Asia.
Our branded products are sold in the aqua, beef, dairy, poultry, pork and pet food segments. Commercial agricultural is sold in different forms such as concentrate and complete feed. Our consulting services unit provides technical services, technology licensing, software and management services to customers.
As the Cargill Animal Nutrition (CAN)
Sr. Project Manager
(PM) you will work as a member of the CAN PMO organization within Cargill to deliver software development projects that have significant business impact.
Candidates for this position are expected to have experience managing large development projects, following the agile project management methodology, with a minimum of $1 million - $5 million total project spend.
The agile project management methodology demands a strong leader that can work closely with a tight knit project team where everyone plays a key role in managing the day to day activities of the project.
These projects demand open, daily communication between project team members and the customer to direct the day’s work activities and enable quick decision making as issues arise.
A single project will also typically include multiple development cycles including requirements gathering, functional design, technical design, development, and deployment.
The role of the CAN Sr. Project Manager can be summarized as
facilitating all these activities, removing barriers for the team, championing the agile principles at all times, and ensuring these principles are mapped in an acceptable manner to the PPM methodology in broad use within Cargill.
This position demands a strong leader who can partner effectively with all levels of the organization globally. The Sr. Project Manager position is an empowered leader who must drive results and proactively identify and resolve problems.
This position is expected to keep up with project management technology, trends and best practices.
The Sr. Project Manager has the authority to run the project on a day-to-day basis on behalf of the Project Sponsor, within the constraints laid down by the Sponsor.
The Project Manager is accountable for the project results, and is responsible for the project team leadership, organization and integration to deliver projects that meet the stated project objectives and success criteria. The Project Manager has the primary responsibility to ensure that the project produces the required products, to the required standard of quality and within the specified constraints of time and cost.
The Project Manager is also responsible for the project producing a result that is capable of achieving the benefits and value defined in the Business Case.
Agile Project Management of CAN’s medium and full rigor software development projects - 85%
Mentor, Coach and Provide Consultation and Training to Other CAN Project Managers and Project Team Members on Agile and PPM Methodologies - 15%
- 30 % Project Leadership: Responsible for managing the processes associated with Project Management, including running the project on a day-to-day basis on behalf of the Project Sponsor, within the constraints laid down by the Sponsor.
Also responsible for coordinating the efforts of the various team members to ensure successful completion of project with regard to scope, budget and quality.
- 20% Project Planning: Define project objectives, deliverables and scope. Plans the course of action required to meet the project intent. Responsible for the Project Management Plan, which includes areas such as a business case, work plan, schedule, budget, resource plan, communication plan, change plan, and risk plan.
Note that for agile development projects this is not just an “up-front” activity.
This is an ongoing, daily activity facilitated by the project manager, but involving all project team members.
- 30% Project Execution: Integrates people and other resources to carry out the project management plan for the project. Successfully manage and monitor progress to ensure project objectives are delivered on time and within budget, and business results are realized. Utilize the change request process for any project changes.
- 10% Project Control: Regularly measure and monitor project progress to identify variances from the plan and make any needed corrections. Contain and resolve issues within the program that do not require sponsor attention and escalate issues as appropriate to sponsor.
- 10% Business Results: Responsible for the delivery of project. Accountable for working with the solution owner in the CAN Global Apps organization to keep the project sponsors and stakeholders aware of the status of the project. Ensures successful closure and completion of all aspects of the project.
Works with the business to ensure the product is successfully implemented and that the promised benefits and value are being captured.
Initial project work is 18-24 months working on MAX (formulation system).
- BA/BS in MIS or computer science or equivalent experience
- Minimum 7 years of Project Management experience including projects with total spend in excess of $3M
- Minimum 3 years of project management experience adhering to agile software development principles
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to communicate at all levels within the organization
- Strategic thinking/problem solving
- Proven team leadership/coaching/mentoring
- Comfortable with ambiguity, active inquiry skills
- Relationship building at all levels and cross-function/platform
- Negotiation, facilitation, stakeholder management
- Cost/quality/schedule controls
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Strategic thinking &
problem solving abilities
- Not afraid to hold people accountable
- Strong conceptualization skills
Cargill is an EEO/AA employer.
- Masters degree in MIS or computer science, or equivalent experience
- PMI certified
- General understanding of grain industry standards and regulatory processes and requirements
- Commodity business experience
- Flexible, adapts well to change; strong sense of ownership, ability to develop win/win collaborative solutions, maintains a positive attitude
- Demonstrated strong technical skills; primarily in plant systems, operating systems and end user applications
Cargill - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard
Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. Together with farmers, customers,...