Abbott is a global healthcare company devoted to improving life through the development of products and technologies that span the breadth of healthcare. With a portfolio of leading, science-based offerings in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic pharmaceuticals, Abbott serves people in more than 150 countries and employs approximately 70,000 people.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION:
The US Product Manager I (PM II) is responsible for setting the US strategic direction and tactical implementation of activities that will lead to a customer-centric and goal achievement culture; focusing on optimizing customer satisfaction and economic profit for their particular product line.
The US PM II is “product champion” - the focal point for the USO with regard to product and market knowledge; planning/execution; and achievement of business objectives. The PM I is responsible for the product throughout its lifecycle; from launch through retirement. This includes development of marketing plans and activities throughout the product lifecycle that optimize relevant competitive differentiation and value.
The US PM II is responsible for the following related to their product(s):
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Recognition of new products to be developed to meet new market demands - provides input to Global Marketing and R&D via stage gate funding process; identification of new business opportunities through expansion of existing products; optimization of existing products and strategies in existing markets.
- Achievement of Plan/Update via successful development and execution of annual marketing plan.
- Provide leadership to all in-house groups such as Public Affairs; MarComm; Operations; Finance; Quality; and Regulatory that affect the successful achievement of product-specific business objectives.
Responsible forimplementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
The US PM II is responsible for creating US demand for his/her product in a manner that optimizes customer satisfaction and economic profit; while also achieving revenue goals.
Product Portfolio Revneue: < $75.0MM (note: This is a general guideline)
- Development and execution of the marketing plan. This includes definition of and segmentation of the market; targeting and positioning; and all aspects of the marketing mix (product; place/distribution; price; and integrated marketing/promotion).
- Own all finanical planning processes such as Plan; Update; LBE; LRP and contribute US-specific assessment to the R&D stage gate process.
- Competition and Positioning: Thoroughly understand competitive offerings and provide the sales team with appropriate positioning and tools stressing relevant differentiation.
- Promotion: Optimize core tools provided by Global Marketing as needed and launch with appropriate localization; training; focus and monitoring.
- Internal Communication: Responsible for creating a clear line of communication between the sales team and all other areas that affect the product...Global Marketing; RA; QA; etc.
- External Communication: Interface with consultants; marketing research firms; ad agencies; other vendors; and customers to effectively manage and grow business profitably; while maintaining a customer focus woven throughout all activities. Another aspect of this responsibility is gaining positive media exposure in partnership with the Public Affairs department.
This role will entail ~20% travel.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITY / SCOPE:
The US PM II is responsible for achievement of the goals and objectives associated with their products as part of Plan development: Revenue; margin; EP; and budget. Business Process goals will be measured against commitments in the annual marketing plan. Compliance with the Quality System; and all Ethics/Compliance guidelines is required.
Bachelor degree in business; life sciences; engineering or related technical discipline. MBA is desired.
Diagnostics or healthcare experience - 3 years minimum.
Marketing experience - 1.5 years minimum.
Product launch experience - Proven success with at least one product launch.
Scientific or technical experience - Preferred but not required.
Project management experience - Proven experience with at least one major, cross-functional project required.
Prior management experience - None required.
Prior sales experience - None required but preferred.
Note that the above are guidelines only. For existing employees, proven performance via PEx are required, as is senior management recommendation.
The position requires an understanding of both the technology and capabilities of ADD’s products, market and customer dynamics, and functional operations across departments. Must have demonstrated leadership capability and an understanding of the sales process for diagnostics. Knowledge of regulations and standards affecting IVD products is preferred.
Key competencies required for success in this job include:
Significant Work Activities and Conditions
- PEx individual contributor competencies of: adaptability, innovation, initiative, integrity, and teamwork.
- Additionally, the successful candidate will exhibit:
- Positive attitude.
- Leadership: Desire and ability to lead the organization to ensure goals achievement.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation/communication skills.
- Deep understanding of the complexities of diagnostics market and customer needs.
- Ability to develop, rationalize, and present strategy.
- Strong analytical and computer skills, with working knowledge of financial models.
- Strong work ethic, self-motivation, and resourcefulness.
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods ( more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Filling baby bottles and treating disease... these are the habits of Abbott. Abbott Laboratories is a top health care products manufacturer....