PeopleSoft Financials Applications Programmer
IT Management Information Services
Position is open until filled.
The Information Technologies Management Information Services (IT-MIS) department at the University of Delaware seeks applicants for an Applications Programmer to support the PeopleSoft Finance system.
IT Management Information Services (MIS) supports the enterprise systems of the University which include the Human Resources, Student Information, and Financials systems in addition to central database, reporting, and fundraising systems. MIS is responsible for the development of new and improved campus business practices and the support of core business systems that are critical to the University’s strategic plan and the institutional mission.
The MIS Applications Programmer implements software development life cycle methodologies to enhance the University’s core ERP systems. Support includes: development and customizations of applications and internal/external interfaces, maintenance, troubleshooting, production support and developing and writing queries for users. The incumbent works with users, PeopleSoft consultants, and other IT staff to prepare functional and technical requirements for application design and technical solutions. The incumbent provides off-hour, on-call production support of the core business system applications.
- Implements software development life cycle methodologies to enhance the University’s PeopleSoft Finance system and provides primary support for grants and general accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budget office and procurement systems. Work includes planning, requirement analysis, design, development, integration, testing, implementation, maintenance and documentation in accordance with IT-MIS policies and standards to enhance.
- Maintains PeopleSoft ERP systems. Applies, tests and deploys tax updates, bundles, patches, fixes and maintenance packs released by PeopleSoft on a periodic basis using PeopleSoft change assistant, data mover, compare reports, system and database audit reports and release notes. Improves performance of PeopleSoft batch programs, reports and online pages using techniques like SQL tuning, database indexes, hints, statistics and explain plans.
- Plans, upgrades and deploys new PeopleTools versions and PeopleSoft application versions using PeopleSoft upgrade assistant, fit-gap analysis, data conversion, system and database audits, performance & integration testing.
- Tests programs to ensure they work properly and to determine that programs meet client needs. Corrects any problems encountered during testing. Develops statistical analysis and develops metrics/reports/data analysis using PeopleSoft Query tools.
- Develops, tests, deploys and documents PeopleSoft custom or delivered batch programs to interface with internal HR and Financials modules and with external banking, financial, insurance, and state and federal systems using PeopleTools integration technologies like integration broker, sqr process, application engine process, file layouts, component interfaces and UNIX shell scripting.
- Provides production support for the PS Financials system and maintains the daily production schedule of PeopleSoft systems. Analyzes and resolves production incidents. Works with users and production control staff regarding schedule and problem resolution.
- Provides on call support for PeopleSoft systems. Analyzes and resolves production incidents. Works closely with management to ensure adherence to MIS policies and with users to determine their needs. Assists staff as needed.
- Consults with users to determine needs, clarify issues, define problems, develop specifications, and recommend solutions. Keeps clients updated on project status. Attends project meetings to discuss project problems and issues. Develops (SQR) reports and (PS) queries for users. Trains users and assists with help-line support.
- Re-engineers business functions by evaluating requests for service, reviews policies, procedures, and workflows to ensure that the best systems are implemented.
- Diagnoses and resolves data processing problems and user data entry errors and coordinates the work with other programmers, users, and units.
- Assists more junior Programmer/Analysts with solutions to complex problems.
- Develops an increasing familiarity with the many central business systems and interface applications of the institution. Learns a variety of languages, operating systems, security procedures and utilities. Remains current with latest technologies. Participates in internal and external training programs.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate working relationships with colleagues and users and follows University policies and procedures governing IT efforts. Ensures conformance to standards and quality control. Acts as mentor to new employees in group.
- Education level typically associated with Bachelor's degree and one-three years of related work experience required (experience such as a PeopleSoft Analyst/Developer, Systems/Applications Analyst/Developer, etc.). A degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or Business is preferred. The Applications Programmer family includes a progression of five steps from entry level Applications Programmer I to the most senior level, Project Leader II. New members of the Applications Programmer family are hired into a level that is commensurate with their experience and educational background.
- Experience with relevant PeopleSoft modules, and PeopleTools core technologies (i.e. PeopleCode, Application Designer, Application Engine, Component Interfaces, Workflow, Integration Broker, and File Layouts), PeopleSoft reporting technologies (i.e. PS Query, and SQR,); and PeopleSoft Upgrade/Change Assistant, as well as experience with techniques such as SQL tuning, database indexes, hints, statistics and explain plans, fit-gap analysis, data conversion, system and database audits, and performance and integration testing, to perform the required duties.
- Ability to specify, write and develop computer programs using a range of programming languages.
- Ability to plan, design, develop, implement, test, and modify applications and external application interfaces to meet specified needs.
- Proficiency with database design.
- Ability to troubleshoot and correct application problems.
- Analytical, evaluative, and objective critical thinking skills.
- Effective communication skills (verbal and written), the ability to work independently as well as part of a team, and a working knowledge of business systems principles.
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical users.
- Must be able to demonstrate proficiency in SQL, as well as critical/analytical approach to problem solving.
How To Apply
When applying please submit a one-page cover letter and your resume as one document. Also, please remember to provide names, addresses and telephone number of at least three references in the online application.