As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors. With approximately 21,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services. General Dynamics Information Technology is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
General Dynamics IT has an immedidate opening for a Senior UNIX Administrator in New Orleans, LA.
Successful candidate must be able to obtain and retain a Department of Interior security clearance. Candidates must be authorized to work in the US and a resident of the US for the previous 3 years with no longer than a 90 day absence.
Functional Responsibilities and Tasks:
• Perform system administration and support for Unix servers and workstations (Solaris and Linux)
• Perform specialized application Integration
• Actively monitor the performance and stability of systems
• Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues
• Analyzes and evaluates existing or proposed systems and designs computer systems to process data.
• Analyzes systems and procedures to refine their formulation and converts them to programmable formats.
• Writes or updates software specifications.
• Creates logical data models based on functional requirements.
• Performs quality assurance review of specifications for internal and external delivery.
• Troubleshoots and provides technical support and solutions to users.
• Develops analytical tools for use in the design and redesign of systems.
• Analyzes detail systems factors, including input and output requirements, information flow, hardware and software requirements, and reliability characteristics.
• Prepares and updates documentation for new or existing systems.
• Monitors system effectiveness in satisfying user needs.
• May provide guidance and work leadership to less-experienced analysts.
• Maintains current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned.
• Participates in special projects as required.
Bachelors Degree in a Computer Science or related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience.
5+ years of directly related computer systems analysis and/or programming experience.
Required Specialized Skills:
• Thorough knowledge of operating systems, such as Red Hat Linux, and Sun Solaris in a distributed network environment.
• Thorough knowledge of shell scripting, batch processing and automation of system administration tasks.
• Thorough understanding of J2EE application servers and web servers, such as Oracle WebCenter, BEA WebLogic, Apache, Oracle databases, ESRI GIS, Active Directory and other Java toolset.
• Must have excellent communication skills
Preferred Skills, Qualifications or Experience:
• Certification in Red Hat or Solaris operating systems is preferred
• Experience with server virtualization and performance management is preferred.
• Strong interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills
• Experience in the oil and gas industry a plus
WORKING CONDITIONS: The work is typically performed in an office environment, which requires normal safety precautions; work may require some physical effort in the handling of light materials, boxes or equipment.
The above job description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Requests for reasonable accommodations will be considered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the principal (essential) functions of this job.
General Dynamics Information Technology, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (M/F/D/V).
Security Clearance Level
Security Clearance Basis
Security Clearance Polygraph
Job ID Number
Potential for Deployment
General Dynamics - IT - 2 years ago
General Dynamics Corporation (General Dynamics) offers a portfolio of products and services in business aviation; combat vehicles, weapons...