Payroll Title: Student Affairs Officer I. Full Salary Range: $2,938 - $5,169 /month
UCSD Layoff from Career appointment or Special Selection: Apply by 01/27/2011 to be considered with preference for rehire.
UCSD career employees who have passed their trial period will have priority consideration for this position. (UCSD internals must identify themselves as Career/Regular on the UCSD Online Resume for priority). Recruiters can begin to refer qualified internal applicants after the first 7 days of posting. Qualified external applicants may be referred if a qualified pool of internal candidates is not identified and externals are requested by the hiring manager.
- Eligible ACCES clients should contact their UCSD vocational rehabilitation counselor to discuss Special Selection.
- Layoff applicants must leave a message at (858) 534-6333 or call your assigned Sr. Employment Advisor to exercise your preferential rehire status.
~~Required to work some evenings and weekends.
~~Must have access to reliable transportation.
Under the direction of the Director of Cal-SOAP, the GEAR UP Coordinator will assist in the planning, implementing and evaluating of program services and activities in a federally funded program for selected middle school students in the San Diego Unified District to improve their academic success and college readiness. This program will follow a cohort of sixth and/or seventh graders beginning in a middle school to their feeder high schools and develop academic and advisement programs for the next 5 years through a collaboration of federal, state and local funding. In coordination with the GEAR UP Counselor, the GEAR UP Coordinator will assess needs of participants and their family and develop, implement and evaluate activities centered around test preparation, college planning, financial aid and scholarship searches, as well as career exploration. The Coordinator will assist in the maintenance of student information, files on academic and advisement progress, and student participation in the program. Coordinate academic enrichment workshops, one-on-one advising, motivational activities and information about college preparation provided by GEAR UP partners. Coordinator assists with collecting documentation from partners on a quarterly basis about services provided to students, parents and teachers for an annual report.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Current Driver's License and car insurance required.
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge and experience in academic advisement leading to college admission.
- Experience in planning and implementing informational, motivational, academic and personal support programs and services for economically disadvantaged students.
- Ability to interpret academic records of students to make appropriate recommendations regarding student curriculum.
- Proven ability to conduct workshops in writing, study skills and test taking techniques.
- Knowledge of admissions and financial aid policies and procedures for various public and private colleges and universities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to make effective presentations to both large and small groups.
- Competency in the use of personal computers which includes knowledge of software, database and word processing systems.
- Demonstrated sensitivity and experience working with students from low-income and/or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds.