This is professional planning work supervising the activities of several professional employees within a division of the Planning Department. This may include development and improvement of the Comprehensive Development Plan or current planning matters involving zoning and subdivision. Work is directed and reviewed through the establishment of goals and subsequent evaluation of progress toward goal attainment.
Examples of Work Performed:
· Supervises and coordinates professional and technical personnel in the gathering of information, data analysis, plans preparation, and policy recommendations.
· Meets with official bodies, technical advisory committees and citizen groups to present information related to planning studies.
· Prepares comprehensive, illustrated reports for presentation to citizen groups.
· Plans, supervises and coordinates work of employees in subdivision analysis or zoning report recommendations.
· Acts as a technical advisor to employees in solving difficult problems and in reviewing the objectives of assigned projects.
· Assists the director in reviewing the departmental budget.
· Maintains liaison between staff and consultants.
· May assume responsibilities of supervisor in his/her absence.
· Completion of work assignments will require the operation of a vehicle.
· The examples of work performed are not intended to be all-inclusive. The City of Wichita reserves the right to assign additional responsibilities as needed.
Requirements of Work:
· Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of metropolitan planning.
· Thorough knowledge of transportation needs forecasting methods.
· Knowledge of research methods and sources of information relating to metropolitan growth and development.
· Knowledge of and ability to use computer keyboard and video display monitor in spreadsheet development, using basic mathematical and statistical operations.
· Ability to lean and reach as needed to read and interpret plans and specifications from a print that may be as large as 36 by 48 inches with information printed as small as twenty characters per inch.
· Ability to effectively plan, organize, and supervise the work of others.
· Ability to analyze and compile technical information and prepare reports.
· Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates, employees of other Departments, representatives of outside agencies, and the public.
· Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
· Ability to acquire and maintain a valid Kansas driver's license.
· An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Required Experience and Training:
A master's degree in planning and four years of planning experience of which two years shall be administrative and supervisory experience in the field of planning. Advanced degrees in architecture, civil engineering, geography, urban studies, public administration, law, economics and similar areas with ties to urban or regional planning may be considered. Any equivalent combination of experience and training may be substituted for the above requirements. Offers of employment will be made contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical, which will include drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a police records check.
City of Wichita - 12 months ago