Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Division Metals Recycling Business
Location Kapolei, HI
General Position Summary:
General mechanic work with some welding capabilities.
Troubleshoot and repair equipment and machinery such as, but not limited to excavators, material handlers, bucket loaders, bull dozers , haul trucks, forklifts, boom lift and stationary machinery. Repair/replace components on heavy equipment and machinery. Rebuild components for equipment. Perform preventive maintenance. This position operates within somewhat broad, but established parameters. Employee will be trained on various pieces of equipment and areas of the scrap yard. Must be able to adapt to new functions and environments when needed.
- Able to stand for up to 12 hours.
- Be able to bend at waist.
- Good eye hand coordination.
- Knowledge of basic mechanics and computer applications.
- Weld repairs and fabrication for mobile equipment.
- Must be able to work with both hand and power driven tools.
- Test equipment and mobile machinery after repair.
- Provide maintenance trouble shooting for hydraulic systems on mobile equipment
- Read and comprehend maintenance schematics.
- Provide backup at other locations of the yard besides what is originally assigned.
- Perform special projects as assigned.
- Experience in scrap yard preferred but not necessary. Knowledge or and experience of heavy equipment and millwright duties. Technical training and/or degree in Diesel Tech preferred but can be substituted for on the job experience. Basic knowledge of computer applications.
- Ability to carry out instructions provided in written, oral or diagrammatic form. Ability to speak and understand English at a basic level.
- Valid drivers license
- Experience with maintaining and troubleshooting and repair of heavy equipment including, but not limited to cranes, excavators, loaders and forklifts.
- Welding and torching skills. Welding certificate a plus.
- Be able to work above ground level on scaffolding, aerial equipment and other various equipment.
- Be able to complete safety inspection on equipment.
In addition to an exciting work environment and a compensation program that recognizes commitment and hard work, Schnitzer Steel offers benefits packages for eligible employees. Packages vary by location as we tailor our benefits packages for the needs of each location's employees. If you join Schnitzer Steel your package may include:
Medical, Dental and Vision Plans for both you and your dependents
Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D)
Paid Time Off
Employee Assistance Program
24 Hour Nurse Hotline
Physical Activities Required to Perform Essential Functions:
Job requires ability to lift up to 50 pounds. Also as a part of regular work routine, be able to stand and walk, with frequent lifting, guiding and/or carrying of light-weight materials or equipment. Ability to: twist upper body frequently, bend at waist, kneel, crouch and negotiate uneven surfaces; use hands repetitively for coordinated finger movements; communicate by speech and hearing in person at a basic English proficiency.
Work may be performed in cramped or awkward positions. Occasional exposure to safety hazards, noise and temperature extremes. Work pressure, disturbances of work flow, and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis.
Closing Date N/A
Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. - 17 months ago