Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Games has an exciting opportunity for a Manager of Technical Design Services to join our team. Only local candidates need apply. There is no relocation assistance for this position.
Launched in 2002, Magic: The Gathering Online is the official online edition of the world’s most popular trading card game. Magic Online allows players to collect and trade virtual cards, build the perfect deck and find opponents at all skill levels – all from the comfort of their own homes. For more information on Wizards of the Coast and Magic: The Gathering Online, visit www.wizards.com.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
Provides overall staff development and mentoring of technology professionals within the Technology Department. Supports and advances the quality of interactions between People and Process in order to build better Products and Services Team size, including internal and external staff is 4-10 people.
Provides the daily staff management of the design team to ensure quality standards are used for on-time and on-budget delivery of multiple overlapping design deliverables.
Other Key Relationships:
- Directly: 3-6 Design staff (such as UX Designers, Visual Designers, Technical Artists, and Prototypers)
- Directly or Indirectly: 4-8 external Design, Build Engineers and Architect staff
- Systems Design Managers/Technology Directors
- Business or Brand Managers for areas served
- Sr. and Executive Producers of major company initiatives
- Business Analysts
- Build Engineers
Essential Functions / Major Responsibilities:
- Directly manages and supervises individual contributors in technology roles within the Technology Department. Reviews work of delivery team and suggests skill enhancement needs and staffing changes to effectively plan for current and future technical demand
- Works with Architects and software development and UX teams to roadmap design and development processes
- Supports team Director in creating and maintaining technology roadmaps and strategic vision
- Works with management team to understand project and business priorities and schedule the development staff work based on priorities
- Recruits and screens new team members and guides development of existing team members, including establishment of performance goals, identification of professional development need and opportunities, and providing feedback and coaching
- Acts as first liaison between manager’s organization and other development organizations within the company and/or outsourced partners
- Provides team leadership and challenges team to develop as leaders while inspiring staff to attain goals and pursue excellence with innovative design best practices
- Mentors and guides junior-level team managers to improve in quality and effectiveness
- Manages resources within budget and project schedules
- Builds staffing plans, including interviewing and assessing technical talent and hiring and managing qualified staff
- Works with Finance to produce monthly, quarterly forecasts and analysis
- Establishes and manages team technology roadmap
- Ensures compliance with applicable regulatory and corporate standards for both staff and work product
- Controls costs/resources under their responsibility
- Negotiates external design and development contracts with vendors
Education and Training:
Prior Related Experience:
- BA or BS degree or equivalent experience required
- Certifications in Agile, Scrum, or ITIL desired
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 5-8 years of area experience, at least 3 of which have been building and leading technical teams
- Strong experience with people management and career development
- 3 years minimum of increasingly responsible leadership roles required
- Experience reconciling iterative software development with a waterfall project methodology (network, infrastructure, or widely cross-functional) highly desirable
- Knowledge of digital game design principles and best practices desired
- Project management experience preferred, preferably in software development or network/infrastructure deployment
- 3 years working with current-generation design approaches highly desired
- 2 years vendor management experience, additional experience as a vendor highly desirable
Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position:
- Ability to communicate effectively across a spectrum of Business, Creative, and Technology personnel at all levels of the organization
- Exceptional collaboration and communication facilitation skills are required to manage through the often opposing demands put on systems design, development, and operations from a time, cost, scope, and quality perspective
- Exceptional verbal, written, and visual communication skills in order to manage a diverse team of direct or indirect contributors to the end product
- The skill to tailor messages to specific audiences and deliver these messages in a timely manner
- Proven ability to achieve results, make quality decisions, build relationships, drive success with people and adapt and learn
- Familiarity with tools used by game design system and architecture staff such as architecture and UI and UX design tools, including wireframe and artistic tools (Omnigraffle, Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Visual Studio, Expression Studio Suite, and Expression Design) desired
- Use of Microsoft Office Suite, Visio, and SharePoint use highly desired
- This is a complex position that takes up to six months to master.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
- Office environment, able to work on computer or phone for long periods of time.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook , follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn .
J2W Posting Code:
Wizards of the Coast
Wizards of the Coast has built a house of cards. The company, a unit of toy behemoth Hasbro, is best known for trading card game Magic: The...