Responsible for the coordination or for assisting with the coordination of the Kamehameha Athletic Sports program. This includes coaching, instructing students and performing other duties necessary to the development of players and teams, which demonstrates skills and values in keeping with Kamehameha’s philosophy of athletics.
Demonstrates thorough knowledge of sport including knowledge of all rules and regulations; skills, tactics and techniques. Translates sports knowledge to athletes and develops and evaluates athlete’s and team’s performance and progress. Provides a good balance between skill development and team concepts. Teaches individual and team skills to athletes. Addresses each player as part of a team. Assists athletes to reach their full potential. Has the ability and patience to develop athletes. Addresses athletes’ individual needs (not at the expense of the entire team). Conducts self in an ethical and professional manner and presents self as a positive role model for the athletes. Respects athletes and motivates and inspires players. Displays encouraging conduct and has a positive attitude with athletes. Develops team concept in student-athletes within values-driven framework of the KS organization. Identifies observable outcomes besides just winning and losing. Promotes sportsmanship and respect for game rules and respect for officials.
Provides an enjoyable environment and experience. Organizes and supervises well-planned, safe and efficient practices and games by utilizing coaching staff effectively and efficiently. Prepares team for games/matches/meets.
Handles administrative responsibilities such as resolving disciplinary issues appropriately and effectively; ensuring student-athlete medical and academic eligibility; and completing other administrative responsibilities timely and responsibly. (e.g. grade checks, student-athlete records, timesheets, human resources requirements). Acts responsibly with regards to equipment, uniforms, etc. such as assisting equipment and locker room personnel as necessary; assisting with planning and budgeting for the sport; and inventorying equipment. Assists with budgeting, planning, ordering and inventorying for the sport.
Communicates effectively with athletes, parents, faculty, administrators, other coaches, and the community as appropriate. Gets appropriate results to school and media timely. Promotes program in the local and state communities.
May assist with post-graduate placement such as providing college recruiters with information in conjunction with Athletic Director and Assistant Athletic Director. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- 1 – 2 years of related work experience.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to relate effectively with a variety of individuals to include students, coaches, other KS staff, physicians, parents, teachers and administrators.
- Maturity to mentor student athletes and to make sound judgement.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple assignments and priorities simultaneously.
- Previous coaching experience.
- Ability to work flexible hours to include evenings and weekends on a frequent basis.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Bachelors Degree
- 3-5 years of various high school or collegiate athletic participation
- 3-5 years of high school or collegiate coaching experience
- Sensitivity to Hawaiian culture and Christian values