LIBRARY ASSOCIATE I
NOTICE OF JOB OPENING
NAMPA PUBLIC LIBRARY
November 20, 2012
APPLICANTS – CAREFULLY READ AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED
Please post or otherwise make available the following information. The City of Nampa Public Library has an opening for part-time Library Associate I in the Public Service’s Department.
The City of Nampa is committed to ensuring equal opportunities to all individuals. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact the Human Resource Director at 468-5437. TDD Relay Service: US West 1-800-377-3529 or 7-1-1.
Salary : $11.19 per hour, no benefits.
Hours: Flexible, 19 hours per week (6 days per week); varied schedule may include weekdays, evenings and weekends.
The principal function of an employee in this class is to perform a variety of reference, reader’s advisory and directional services. Assist patron service for reference activities and researching the library collection and resources. The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this class establish and maintain effective working relationships with the assigned supervisors, other city and library employees, and the general public. The principal duties of this class are performed in a general library environment.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
1. Performs reference, reader’s advisory and directional services;
2. Locate information for patrons using standard reference sources in books and databases to answer questions
3. Provide information about library programs and services, orally and with flyers
4. Operate library equipment as appropriate
5. Report behavior problems to supervisor or person in charge, or take appropriate action
6. Keep desks, cabinets, and work areas, supplies and equipment orderly for shared use
7. Report problems with equipment or building systems to supervisor and director
8. Attend staff training workshops and regular monthly meetings
9. Provides instruction to patrons in the use of library resources
10. Prepares and performs informational or educational programming for children, young adults, and/or adults as requested;
11. Takes and prepares patron requests for interlibrary loans;
12. Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems.
13. Responds to citizens’ questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner;
14. Communicates and coordinates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities;
15. Is punctual and timely in meeting requirements of performance, including attendance standards and work deadlines;
16. Communicates information and states concerns in a clear and professional manner;
17. Respects the opinion of others and demonstrates a reasonable relationship with employees, supervisors and others
18. Accepts and performs in a timely and effective manner changes in work assignments and/or how work is performed.
19. Performs other directly related duties consistent with the role and function of the classification;
20. Performs general duties the department, i.e., answering phones, filing, photocopying, stocking patron supplies, and general straightening of furniture and equipment.
21. Assumes responsibility for other duties as required or assigned.
Attends meetings, conferences, workshops, and training sessions and reviews publications and audio-visual materials to become and remain current on principles, practices, and new developments in assigned work areas.
Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees in the same or similar class of positions.
ESSENTIAL RELATIONSHIP EXPECTATIONS
1. Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems.
2. Responds to citizens’ questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner.
3. Communicates and coordinates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities.
4. Is punctual and timely in meeting requirements of performance, including attendance standards and work deadlines.
5. Communicates information and states concerns in a clear and professional manner.
6. Respects the opinion of others and demonstrates a reasonable relationship with employees, supervisors and others.
7. Accepts and performs in a timely and effective manner changes in work assignments and/or how work is performed
Thorough knowledge of library functions, rules, policies and procedures;
Thorough knowledge of the Dewey Decimal System;
Thorough knowledge of department specific materials and resources, including print and electronic reference sources;
Thorough knowledge of the general purpose and function of the Nampa Public Library;
Substantial knowledge of Nampa city policies and procedures;
Ability to use library equipment employed in all phases or functions of assigned duties, including basic computer operation, and copier;
Ability to plan design, direct and deliver programs to meet clientele needs;
Ability to solve problems using diplomatic resolution strategies;
Ability to work independently and provide assistance to patrons;
Ability to organize and prioritize work;
Ability to maneuver and manipulate objects among high and low shelves;
Ability to communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing, using both technical and non-technical language;
Ability to understand and follow oral and/or written policies, procedures, and instructions;
Ability to operate or quickly learn to operate a personal computer using standard or customized software applications appropriate to assigned tasks;
Ability to perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines;
Ability and willingness to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology;
Ability and willingness to apply integrity, ingenuity, and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field
REQUIRED SPECIAL QUALIFICATION:
Considerable related library experience; or
Any combination of experience and training which provides the equivalent scope of knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Sufficient finger or manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to operate a personal computer, telephone and related equipment and use primarily just the fingers to make small movements such as typing, picking up small objects, or pinching fingers together.
Sufficient clarity of speech or other communication ability with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to communicate effectively and convey detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately, loudly or quickly.
Sufficient clarity of hearing with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
Sufficient visual acuity or other power of observation with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to review a wide variety of materials in electronic or hard copy form and perform activities such as viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts, and/or operation of machines (including inspection).
PHYSICAL STRENGTH AND PERSONAL MOBILITY:
Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to function within a general office environment.
Sedentary work; sitting most of the time. Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally.
Special Conditions : The City of Nampa has a Drug/Alcohol Free Workplace Policy. Any offer of employment is contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug test, background check and driving check (if applicable to position).
Dates to Submit Application : Application and position information may be found online at: www.cityofnampa.us . Applicant must submit an online application; resumes will not be taken in lieu of the application. Position will close on December 4, 2012 at 5:00 P.M.
The City of Nampa is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
City of Nampa - 23 months ago