We're looking for a dynamic journalist, who loves to write and then tell the whole world about his/her work via social media and national websites (CNN, Drudgereport, CBS). Simply writing a story is never enough! The right candidate will need to find "viewsers" and reel them in with great headlines and super content.
• Report, write, select and publish original news to wusa9.com and other stories to assigned station websites.
• Market stories online and especially on all mobile platforms (iPad, iPhone, Android)
• Post video from newscasts and from across our Gannett stations and entities.
• Organize headlines, entertainment, crime and every other category on wusa9.com
• Ensure consistency and accuracy of stories on wusa9.com.
• React to and post breaking news quickly and accurately and keep in constant communication with the stations news department.
• Monitor newscasts, social media trends and other sources for news and distinguish newsworthy stories for for the site.
• Capture, edit and post still images and video to the site.
• Work autonomously and use individual judgment on content to post to sites.
BA/BS degree or equivalent preferred (Degree in communications, public relations, or related field).
• Strong writing skills.
• Knowledge of search engine optimization (SEO) and keyword research.
• Proficiency in the social media universe (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Foursquare, Gifboom, Flickr, wikis, blogs, etc.)
• Functional knowledge of content management systems (such as Wordpress, Blogger, etc)
• Experience with Photoshop and digital video editing is preferred.
• Must be self-directing, self-motivating and able to work well with a diverse group of people.
• Must be able to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
• Must be able to handle stress, including short deadlines.
• Must have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
At least two years of experience writing or posting to a news website on a daily basis. Must be a deadline oriented writer, with excellent editing skills.
USA TODAY - 2 years ago
Gannett satisfies news junkies with a stash of daily US papers. The company is the top newspaper publisher in the US with about 80 daily...