TITLE: Resident Chef
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, Exempt
REPORTS TO: Store Manager
Sur La Table prides itself in being the premiere retailer for creative cooking and artful entertaining through a legacy in culinary innovation, authenticity and discovery. If you have a passion for exceptional customer service and authentic culinary tools and serving pieces from around the world, we welcome you to join Sur La Table.
Responsible for managing all aspects of the Culinary Program within a retail store while driving profitability and increasing recognition of Sur La Table as the Trusted Authority.
RESPONSIBILITES: (including, but not limited to)
REQUIREMENTS (including, but not limited to):
- Maintains full responsibility for Culinary Program profitability. Manages all expenses and meets or exceeds monthly revenue projections. Provides weekly financial reporting for corporate office.
- Plans and implements a class curriculum to include core classes and original offerings. Teaches at least 3 culinary classes per week. Assigns and monitors classes taught by the Sur La Table culinary staff.
- Drives retail sales by highlighting products before, during and after classes. Works with store management and the corporate culinary department to ensure products are ordered and available for class sales.
- Leads and champions Sur La Table’s vision and strategies. Models and creates an environment for exceptional customer service.
- Recruits, retains and develops an engaged team of culinary educators. Inspires learning and sharing of knowledge among employees and customers. Consistently presents self and team as the Trusted Authority.
- Supervises and schedules all culinary staff. Continuously manages staff performance including on-going coaching and corrective feedback.
- Manages kitchen operations and ensures adherence to Health and Safety codes and the highest standards of cleanliness. Ensures ingredient and supply inventories meet class needs.
- Manages class operations. Oversees and/or coordinates class registration. Provides suitable introductions for instructors at the start of each class.
- Responsible for the local marketing and promotion of culinary program. Builds and maintains relationships with local culinary experts, restaurateurs, hotel staff and other local businesses in order to drive class and event tuition.
- Consistently incorporates trends and local influences into program offerings.
- Ensures compliance with all company policies and procedures. Protects all company assets and maintains Loss Prevention critical controls.
- Available to work on the sales floor to enhance product knowledge. Attends all store meetings and product training events.
- Acts as Manager on Duty for retail store in cases of emergency.
- 2+ years experience as chef instructor, chef, caterer, chef de cuisine, sous chef or equivalent required.
- 2+ years Retail or Restaurant Management or similar customer facing management experience required.
- Degree in Culinary Arts or bachelor of Arts preferred.
- Demonstrates a passion for cooking, entertaining and Sur La Table products.
- Demonstrates excellent communication, facilitation and public speaking skills.
- Media training and experience a plus.
- Ability to develop well written recipes, menus and culinary class curriculum.
- Ability to work as business dictates including nights and weekends.
- Current food handler's permit.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs.
- Must be able to meet the following physical requirements:
- Standing: up to 5 hours at a time
- Lifting: up to 35 pounds consistently
Sur La Table - 19 months ago
In 1972, the first Sur La Table store opened in Seattle’s Pike Place Market. It was a place where serious cooks found a surprising...