Linux Administrator (Multiple Openings) - D - REFER-LSA
This details all the information about the job posting. To submit your resume, click on the 'Submit your Resume to this Job' button.
Job Title Linux Administrator (Multiple Openings)
Category Database Administration
D - REFER-LSA
Location US-TX-San Antonio-CSTL San Antonio, TX 78218, US
Education Bachelor's Degree
Job Type Full-time
Travel Required 0
When you buy a new computer, do you immediately erase Windows and install your favorite distro of Linux? If so, keep reading...
As a Linux System Administrator, you are a Linux junkie who conquers the most intense challenges of providing unique solutions for our customers. We want you because your talent, hard work and dedication will continue to drive us to the next level. You’ll solve issues by utilizing your own creative techniques to ensure Fanatical® troubleshooting and advice, which also means you’ll be a key partner in building relationships with customers as you update them of each step along the way.
Linux Administrators are geeks. They void warranties. They make fun of movies that feature “hacking.” They build things.
Rackspace is looking for Linux Administrators across all shifts in several of our locations.
In a typical day, you will:
- Install, configure, update and troubleshoot services for customers such as OS level concerns, web server, database server, applications server, SMTP; includes Apache, MySQL, FTP, SSH and DNS
- Teach customers “how to fish” while advising on technical issues
- Collaborate with fellow system administrators and support team members
- Provide Fanatical Support® in all interactions
- Work with bleeding-edge technology in the cloud computing space
Rockstar (Preferred) Qualifications:
- Thorough knowledge and love of Linux operating system. As a true Linux lover knows—Fatal Error: Found MS-Windows System - > Repartitioning Disk for Linux
- Fundamental knowledge of servers/computers hardware and software
- Inherent problem-solver with desire to learn and take on responsibilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to communicate technical issues to nontechnical and technical audiences
Why Here? Why Now?—About Rackspace Hosting
- Technical certifications including Red Hat, UCP, CompTIA and/or MySQL to build excellent knowledge of clustering, My SQL, network fundamentals, DNS and Shell scripting
- Experience working in the cloud computing industry
- Bachelors degree in computer science, engineering or equivalent work experience
Rackspace Hosting is the service leader in cloud computing and the founder of OpenStack, the leading open source cloud platform. We deliver enterprise-level managed hosting, cloud hosting and e-mail hosting services to businesses of all types and sizes around the world. We serve over 180,000 customers from data centers around the world, and that number continues to grow. Rackspace integrates the industry's best technologies and practices for each customer's specific needs, delivering it as a service via the company's commitment to Fanatical Support®.
For the over 4,500 current Rackers, however, we are much more than a hosting company. Rackspace offers a vibrant company culture filled with compelling work, a supportive team environment and a lot of fun. We are as Fanatical® about serving our clients and one another as we are about building the future of technology.
We compete in the same space as Amazon, Microsoft and Google because the work that Rackers do allows us to lead the race for innovation and quality. Rackers’ opinions, ideas and creativity are pushed to the limit because pushing beyond the boundaries of today’s hosting standards is the only way to be number one. The pressure is on—Are you ready?
But, don’t take it from us—Rackspace’s awards and recognitions include:
Learn more at our website.
- Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For 2008, 2009, 2011
- Forbes Top 100 Best Small Companies 2010
- Forbes 25 Fastest-Growing Tech Companies 2011
- Glassdoor Best Places to Work 2010, 2012
- Computer World Best Places to Work in IT 2010
- Business Insider 25 Best Tech Companies to Work For 2011
- Bloomberg Business Week Top 100 Performing Technology Company 2010
- InformationWeek Top Technology Innovators Across America 2010
- Info-Tech Champion in Cloud Infrastructure 2010
Location (San Antonio, Austin, BLK, SFO, CHI?, DFW?, ATL?)
Many out-of-state candidates ask about life in Texas. First off, people don’t say “y’all” all the time, though it is pretty fun to say. Texas Pride is real but not in a pretentious way, and football is taken seriously—very seriously! The steaks are amazing, and if you like Mexican food, you’ll be in heaven. Yes, you can drive for hours and still be in the same state, but Texas provides a variety of landscape between the northern and southern parts of the state; in Texas, you really can have it all.
Businesses and the economy in San Antonio are continuing to grow, and the overall mood is optimistic and ambitious. If that weren’t enough, the cost of living is very reasonable and well below the national average. San Antonio is home of the River Walkand The Alamo, but towns in the Hill Countrylike Boerne, Fredericksburgand New Braunfelsprovide vineyards, history, great shopping and beautiful countryside. Though the most recent Censusshows that San Antonio is now the seventh largest city in the US by population, most people here will be quick to tell others that it still feels like a small town due to the geographic size of the city. People can get everything they need within a few miles of home, but they can also head downtown for some big city action.
The capitolof Texas ranks high on just about every “Best Cities” list, and the reasons abound; Austin features a rare combination of small town charm with big city benefits and is home to truly talented and friendly people. The city is an outdoor-lovers paradise but is just ‘weird’ enough to keep things interesting. Home to The University of Texasat Austin and a thriving high tech business community, our diverse populationcomes together in a devotion to artistic expression. On any night of the week, music fills the air in this “Live Music Capital of the World” and lends Austin a distinctively soulful atmosphere that Rackers love to call home.
As employees of Rackspace, we are not simply numbers; we are proud Rackers. With that title comes a responsibility that we all feel. It’s a responsibility to embody and live the values that make our organization unique and extraordinary. It’s also a natural responsibility because the values we embrace were created by us. Learn more about our culture on our talentpage which features blogs and general information put together by Rackers across the company.
Rackspace Hosting is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetic information in our candidate selection process.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of the employee assigned to this job.
Type of Job(-US Only) 0
Rackspace - 2 years ago
Rackspace Hosting is fanatically focused on hosting services, but also has its head in the clouds. The company provides a range of Web...