Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities.
That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The eBusiness Technology area seeks an application designer with full life cycle application development skills to lead efforts related to the development and support of Enterprise web sites and services. eBusiness technology is responsible for the design, development and support of web applications and services used by multiple lines of business across the corporation such as Inside, AgentHQ, www.travelers.com and MyTravelers.com. As a Senior Information Engineer, you will be expected to plan at a tactical level and manage the effective use of resources and direct assigned staff to develop and/or implement large complex project(s). Facilitate and/or participate in the design/development process.
As an application designer, you will work with the eBusiness architect to create an early project vision as well as a strategic roadmap towards a long-term vision for eBusiness applications. You will be responsible for high level designs and corresponding estimates. You will work with the developers on low level designs and insure adherence to coding practices.
This position offers excellent opportunities for technical and leadership growth. We seek professionals with stable and consistent track records.
In this role, you will:
In addition to these job specific duties, you will be expected to:
- Work with architect and business to create an architecture blueprint
- Work with business analysts and business customers to review/refine project requirements
- Work with architect to provide and document initial high-level designs and estimates for all projects
- Collaborate with the assigned architect on design decisions, standards and methodologies
- Be responsible for ensuring that a technical review is completed
- Communicate high-level design decisions to the development team
- Review low-level design and code produced by the development team to insure adherence to design and coding standards
- Define, communicate and help train project team on application standards (coding standards, technology choices), best practices and appropriate tools
- Understand methodologies (development, modeling and documentation approaches) and determine when to apply them to projects
- Conduct design retrospectives after major milestones and project completion
- Manage to the tactical and operational plan for assigned information projects of business unit significance
- Assist in the execution of departmental and corporate programs
- Advocate the use of technology to develop and/or redesign the organization's process
- Utilize Cost benefit analysis as the key driver for enhancement and/or project prioritization
- Build and leverage effective alliances across technical and business community
- In-depth experience in C# with strong Object Oriented programming skills
- Experience with Design Patterns
- Experience with full life cycle development including highly structured test phases.
- Working experience with software development methodologies and their application
- Test Driven Development experience is desired, NUnit knowledge is helpful.
- Solid experience with Visual Studio (v2005 and higher), .Net framework and IIS
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to be a key contributor in a team environment.
- Ability to develop and present technical concepts to a business audience.
Has a solid working knowledge of capabilities and direction of technology, coupled with an in-depth knowledge of the technology required and the needs of business environment necessary to support assigned projects. Develops solutions to meet business needs that reflect a clear understanding of the objectives, practices and procedures of the corporation, department and business unit
Business Knowledge & Partnership
Creates an atmosphere where business partner's issues are dealt with professionally, and in a timely manner. Suggests solutions that make sense and are in line with future technology direction. Communicates openly and effectively in a manner consistent with the audience. Demonstrates an adaptive style that is flexible and effective in gaining cooperation of others. Anticipates and responds to management requests for information with timely, accurate findings
Problem Solving & Decision Making
Demonstrates sound analytical and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are not readily defined and/or conflict with available information. Knows where to obtain information needed to make the appropriate decisions. Breaks a problem down to manageable pieces and implements effective, timely solutions. Is very good at identifying the problem versus the symptom. Deals increasingly with problems that require involvement of others to solve. Has the ability to reach sound decisions quickly. Carefully evaluates alternative risks and solutions before taking action. Optimizes the use of all available resources
Maintains partnerships across the organization, and is able to influence senior management, peers and staff through an inclusive style and recognition of their abilities to achieve results. The success of the team is above own interest
Manages functional objectives and priorities supporting multiple assigned business units. Responsibilities are assigned with latitude for setting priorities and decision-making using generally accepted guidelines. Results are reviewed with next level manager for clarification according to predefined objectives
Planning and Project Management
Develops operational plans and provides resource estimation for task planning. Proposes plans of action that are timely, realistic and positive. Sets appropriate goals for projects, and monitors progress against the plan
Understands, has input to the budget process, and is responsible for cost-effective expense control of assigned projects. Responsible for important and confidential information
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We actively promote a drug-free workplace.
Travelers - 7 months ago
Running a business is a risk The Travelers Companies will insure. While it does offer personal auto and homeowners insurance, the company...