Experienced Associate Veterinarian
Summary of Job Purpose and Function
The primary purpose and function of the Associate Doctor is to ensure the highest quality of veterinary care and client education. The Associate Doctor mentors an effective and productive veterinary medical team, advocates for Pets, educates clients on all aspects of Pet health, ensures a safe and effective hospital environment, and improves both the medical quality and business performance of the hospital.
- Operate an effective and productive veterinary medical team, advocating for Pets, educating clients on all aspects of Pet health, ensuring a safe and effective hospital environment, and improving both the medical quality and business performance of the hospital.
- Follow the Cycle of Service and communicate with the other team members to maintain the flow of patients to maximize quality medical care and productivity.
- Ensure the safety of Pets, clients and team members by utilizing safe restraining techniques, following standard protocols, and maintaining clean, sterile and organized treatment areas, exam rooms and labs.
- Diagnose, treat and control diseases and injuries in Pets; perform surgery on Pets; prescribe and administer drugs and vaccines as appropriate.
- Educate clients about Optimum Wellness Plans, preventive care, Pet health needs, any diagnosis or treatment, hospital services and other related information. Coach paraprofessional team to provide such education as well.
- Ensure patient satisfaction to expand patient base through client referrals.
- Obtain relevant information and history from clients, and maintain proper and complete medical records.
- Provide professional, efficient and exceptional service including prescribing and administering preventive care for the wellness needs of Pets and diagnosing and treating diseases and injuries of Pets.
- Effectively communicates diagnosis and treatment plan to veterinary medical team and client.
- Create a positive professional relationship with PetSmart associates and customers.
- Foster effective communication between team members, field leadership and Central Team Support.
- Fully utilize all practice systems (including protocols and medical records) to protect license and improve quality of life for team members, clients, and patients.
- Ensure all practice policies, protocols and quality assurance guidelines and local, state and federal laws are followed, including proper maintenance of the controlled substance inventory log.
- Clearly understand and deliver Banfield medical standards and ethical practices and ensure hospital team members have been educated and practice within these guidelines.
- Understand and follow state guidelines regarding duties of veterinary assistants and licensed veterinary technicians.
- Continuously strengthen and build the Banfield brand.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Key Skills Required:
Capabilities and Experience (can do)
- Ability to multi-task - Manages multiple tasks at one time; quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of frustration.
- Communication skills - Reads, writes and speaks fluent English, using appropriate grammar, style and vocabulary. Correctly spells commonly used English words and job specific terms. Demonstrates exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Organizational ability - Demonstrates a systematic approach in carrying out assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting through confusion and turning chaos into order.
- Surgical skills - Proven ability to perform all basic surgeries, including use of all standard medical instruments and equipment.
- Problem solving skills - Demonstrates a strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems. Unusually decisive in handling difficult problems. Translates problems into practical solutions.
- Client service skills - Consistently ensures the team provides the client with attentive, courteous and informative service. Gains and shows personal satisfaction from delivering great service.
- Intellectual ability - Accurately and consistently follows instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. Can provide directions.
- Compassionate commitment to Pet care - Ensures hospital teams confidently present Pet treatment recommendations and associated fees as an advocate for the Pet, gaining the client's agreement to proceed with the treatment most appropriate to the Pet's current condition and long term health. Act as an advocate for the Pet.
- Mathematical ability - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert units of measurement.
- Computer skills - Comfortably and confidently uses a computer and specialized software. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, etc.
- Management ability - Effectively enforces policies. Achieves high productive output while maintaining high morale. Encourages efforts toward common goals. Understands and utilizes a coaching/counseling philosophy for performance management.
Attitudes (will do)
- Initiative - shows willingness and aptitude to use own discretion in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to problems; presents options and ideas to enhance current processes or procedures. Takes on additional responsibility when both big and small tasks need to be done.
- Integrity - Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield, The Pet Hospital. Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound judgment.
- Cooperativeness - Willing to work with others, collaborating and compromising where necessary; promptly share relevant information with others.
- Flexibility - Is open to changing situations and opportunities and is willing to perform all tasks assigned.
- Independence - Able and willing to perform tasks and duties without supervision.
- Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency - Maintains a positive "can do" outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness, and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with stressful situations.
Special Working Conditions
- Ability to be confident around Pets (i.e., dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, etc.)
- Client needs and work volume may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This position requires special hours including working weekends and evenings.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderately high.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Requires sufficient ambulatory skills in order to perform duties while at hospital.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, finger-hand-arm dexterity with the ability to reach and grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Associate is routinely exposed to a variety of Pets that may bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation, biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.
- Minimal travel required, possibly for vendor visits and associate education.
Experience, Education and/or Training
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM/VMD) or equivalent degree required.
- License in good standing with the applicable state veterinary board.
- License with the Drug Enforcement Agency required.
- Proven ability to perform all basic surgeries, including use of all standard medical instruments and equipment.
Banfield Pet Hospital®
is committed to a diverse work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. It is our mission to provide equal employment opportunities to all candidates and to ensure that access to jobs is strictly based on job-related criteria.
DVM / VMD
Christiana - 1220
1291 Churchmans Road
Banfield Pet Hospital - 2 years ago
Partnership. Teamwork. Collaboration. Back in 1955, Banfield Pet Hospital was founded on a vision to make human-quality medicine available...