This position is responsible for delivering training on CA products and technical solutions to customers, partners, and internal CA personnel. Ensure the successful delivery of training engagements with a high level of satisfaction and provide technical or CA domain expertise in one or more skills or solution areas. Work with customers, Sales, and technical counterparts to facilitate training content development and delivery. Expert on areas of delivery and has the ability to liaise with the Curriculum Development team. Provide mentoring and certification of other instructors and perform related Delivery leadership tasks. Recognized as a subject-matter expert within CA and act as a consultative resource to field personnel based on expertise and experience. Apply real-world examples from their own job experience to assist in the learning process. May pioneer new training technology or techniques.
Some Principal Instructors are also required to:
- Facilitate meeting or exceeding customer satisfaction targets by delivering quality training in classroom environments (in Learning Centers and customer's facilities) and over the Web.
- Maintain deep knowledge and skill level while demonstrating expertise for all designated solutions, plus additional, complementary products and/or best practices.
- Fully articulate a respective product design or solution's vision, capabilities, business value during offerings to both internal and external audiences.
- Use CA Services Best Practices to accurately and efficiently implement products of one's chosen expertise as a single Business Unit multi-product solution and/or a cross Business Unit multi-product integrated solution.
- Demonstrate expertise with all the major products within designated solutions, plus one-to-two additional, complementary products and/or best practices.
- Display proven comprehension of a solution's capabilities and how the solution is designed to be integrated into a customer's environment.
- Serve as a mentor to other technical roles for key subjects on which they are an expert.
- Demonstrate familiarity with cross-brand solutions and integration.
- Effectively troubleshoot technical product implementation issues for products of one's chosen expertise.
- Interact with CA Support to open and track product issues when necessary.
- Help build the knowledge base in the Practice communities, including lessons learned, best practices, tools, and methods and learning events using OneCA as the enabling technology.
- Consult/work with Subject Matter Experts, Instructional Designers, etc. to deliver the material in an effective and engaging way.
- Provide analysis and feedback on training events to Delivery management.
- Act as a CA representative in an external-facing role.
- Encourage repeat-business with the students in each class.
- Meet or exceed utilization expectations.
- Successfully manage the training environment while reporting and resolving issues.
- Train and certify other CA or external instructors.
- Tailor customer-specific onsite training engagements.
- Serve as the subject matter leader by preparing and delivering important subject-matter announcements, by writing articles for publication, and by contributing to product white papers.
- Execute complex product integration demonstrations, customizing the demonstrations as necessary to address the specific needs and environments.
- Effectively position and present the benefits of CA's solutions and specifically how our solutions will support different technical and functional requirements.
- Effectively communicate CA's key competitive differentiators, by solutions as defined by CA business units.
- Speak at conferences and industry events on CA's behalf.
- Disseminate feedback to business units gained from experiences and issues to facilitate product improvements or enhancements.
- Provide design, delivery, technology, and learning-related leadership and best-practices for CA Education.
- Provide cross-functional learning leadership for CA.
- Participate in internal projects that improve the value of Education overall.
- Adhere to Time and Expense Policy as posted on OneCA.
- Adhere to CA Policies of Code of Conduct/Ethics, Security and any required training available in the LMS.
Typical Role Definition
Sr Professional Staff. A seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of area of specialization. Resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways. Complete understanding and wide application of principles, theories, and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines. Strong competence with the various tools, procedures, programming languages used to accomplish the job. Usually works with minimal supervision, conferring with a supervisor on unusual matters. May be assisted by (and at times direct) less senior level employees. Requires daily decision-making capabilities and actions that may not be reviewed by superiors. Assignments are broad in nature and need ingenuity and originality to solve. Contributes to moderately complex aspects of a project. May assist more junior staff members with aspects of their job. Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. May play a role in high-level projects that have an impact on the company’s future direction.
- Contribute as a technical expert on course development projects and ensure the instructional validity of courseware under development, using CA best practices.
- Attend and participate in courseware analysis and design workshops, technical walk-throughs, pilot classes, and other assigned courseware development activities as an advisor/expert.
- Ensure the technical accuracy and completeness of courseware with respect to the curriculum and course design in conjunction with CA best practices.
- Collaborate with members of the Curriculum Development team to maintain Learning Paths and curriculum roadmaps.
Job-Specific Authority and Scope
Business Travel and Physical Demands
Business travel of approximately 75 or more percent yearly is expected for this position.
- Generally works without consulting their manager.
- Independent decisions are made daily.
- Examples of typical decisions without manager consultation:
- Determine independently when to escalate curriculum and personnel issues
- Make assignment-specific travel arrangements
- Make class management decisions
- Typically has no direct reports.
- Typically has no total staff.
- Typically has a global geographic focus.
- Typically does not manage a budget.
Bachelor's Degree or global equivalent in Computer Science or a related field.
- Office environment. No special physical demands required.
Typically 7 or more years of industry experience, 4 years of experience teaching at CA or another company. Strong business knowledge is required to properly align CA solutions with customer requirements and expectations. Industry specific experience is a plus. Experience in the related industry disciplines and technologies and related application experience (e.g., Exchange, SQL, ORACLE and SAP, as well as operating system administration). Experience resolving more complex technical issues and integration of multiple products to create solutions.
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent presentation, communication and writing skills.
- Ability to multi-task and excellent time-management skills.
- Ability to handle diverse group of employees, partners and/or customers including an international audience.
- Ability to establish credibility and create confidence quickly and easily.
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills with a strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Maintain high student satisfaction scores on post-class surveys.
- Proven comprehension of solution capabilities and how specific products within the solution are designed to be integrated into the customer's environment.
- Advanced technology troubleshooting skills for products of one's chosen expertise and basic general technology troubleshooting capabilities.
- Ability to understand and communicate how a solution in one's chosen expertise resolve typical customer business needs.
- Demonstration of the ability to engage in hands-on implementations of software technology at a complex level for single Business Unit multi-product solutions and/or cross Business Unit multi-product integrated solutions.
- Mentorship of other instructors.
- Ability to lead and motivate in a team environment.
- In-depth knowledge of given industry and relevant marketplace; can speak with authority on industry trends, best practices, competitive practices, regulatory issues, etc.
- Play active role in cross-functional company initiatives.
- Completion of at least 8 of the following:
- One hands-on engagement with Sales or Pre or Post Sales or with product implementations within the last year.
- A second hands-on engagement with Sales or Pre or Post Sales or product implementations within the last year.
- Submit and/or publish internal white papers or articles.
- Speak at industry events and/or publish in industry journal/white papers.
- Certified in industry foundation/core/basic/overview level best practices (e.g., CISSP, ITIL, SNIA) or other foundation/core/basic/overview level industry certifications (e.g., Cisco, Novel)
- Teach a physical classroom event for an audience whose native language is different from the instructor's (e.g., a US instructor teaching overseas)
- Lead instructor for 2 or more courses.
- Lead instructor for 4 or more courses.
- Attain and/or maintain other industry-recognized technical accreditations (e.g., Web Services – J2EE, XML, XSLT, .NET, SOAP, Linux, Open VMS).
- Earn a certification from at least one of the following professional affiliations: ASTD/CTT/PTT/state certified vocation instructor/Military Mast training specialist.
- Selection to be a member of CA's Council for Technical Excellence.
- Successful completion of CT900 and CT905 within 6 months.
- Instructor certification in 6 or more active courses and/or a minimum of 20 days as approved by management.
Can you build the career you want? You CAn. We're a dynamic company with a strong vision in a growing global market. At a time when customers are demanding more and more from their technology, we're changing the way the world manages IT, to help customers better perform, compete and grow. That's why the majority of leading companies across industries worldwide use our software. It's also why you'll find a wealth of opportunities for important and rewarding work. Come to CA Technologies and build the career you CAn.
We offer competitive salary, company-sponsored premium Medical/Prescription & Dental Plans, company-paid Holidays, Vacation, Personal, Anniversary Service and Sick Days, 401(k) Plan, Education/Training Reimbursement, Charitable Gift Program, Adoption Assistance Program, and Veterinary Care Insurance.
To learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity, we welcome you to visit our web site at www.ca.com .
CA Technologies and all of its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. As such, it is our corporate policy to fill positions with qualified candidates regardless of the candidate’s race, color, sex, age, religion, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, pregnancy, military status, veteran status or any other protected group status.