Posting Job Title |
Sr. Network Engineer - CMTS
Austin, TX, US
Area of Interest
Posting Job Description
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for configuring, servicing and supporting all core, edge and CPE routing and switching equipment necessary for the delivery of all optically-based Business Class products and services. This includes all equipment, both active and passive, in the network.
- Test, validate and document all new core, edge and CPE hardware and connections for proper configuration and performance for existing and new technology.
- Develops and reviews MOP's (Method of Procedure) and coordinate with the RNOC/GNOC on all service affecting and non-service affecting maintenance activities.
- Maintains documentation of all core alarm points are being properly monitored and maintain accurate and detailed core circuit design records and drawings. This includes both creating the records as well as ensuring they are updated for any as-built or service restoration changes.
- Responsible for designing and provisioning of all provider edge, customer premise equipment and other related equipment as necessary.
- As part of an on-call/standby rotation, respond to after hours call-out for service restoration, troubleshooting, network testing and repair of all core equipment necessary for the delivery of TWC's advanced Fiber Service offerings. Ensure the commercial customer support team is kept up to date on the progress of all repair and upgrade activities. Also assist commercial service techs in troubleshooting, testing and repair of all last mile and customer premise equipment and other related equipment as necessary.
- Assist in the creation and review of event post mortem documentation to ensure accurate and meaningful post mortems are created. Review all post mortem documents and implement procedures to minimize future service outages and shorten the duration.
- Maintain all spare stock for all core equipment necessary for the delivery of metro Ethernet and regional transport. Track all equipment RMAs and ensure that proper levels of spare inventory are maintained
- Administer scheduled maintenance on all core commercial equipment such as software upgrades and equipment upgrades and assist with such maintenance on the last mile and customer premise network equipment as needed.
- Partner with the RDC personnel to maintain, configure, and upgrade element manager servers as needed for both the core network equipment and last mile network equipment.
- Maintain security to all network equipment including development and maintenance of commercial firewalls and access lists.
- Conducts network studies and traffic analyses, prepares network capacity forecasts and recommends modifications that will reduce costs and/or improve service.JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- 5-7 years of designing, deploying, operating, trouble resolution and supporting MPLS, VPLS, BGP and Metro Ethernet services.
- 3 - 5 years of designing, deploying, operating, trouble resolution and supporting WDM OTH transport technologies (DWDM, CWDM, ADM, OADM, ROADM)
- 3-5 years of experience in video delivery including video over IP, RFOG, Fiber optic, HFC and coaxial delivery systems.
- Working experience with Telcordia Granite inventory and circuit database
- Working experience with Juniper MX platform and Junos preferred
- Industry recognized network certification is preferred but not required
- Wireless 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11n experience, IP Subnetting experience, LAN Technologies such as VLAN, Spanning Tree, UDLD and CDP, Video Technologies such as Analog, SD and HD Channel Insertion and familiarity with industry acknowledged LAN/WAN tools such as MRTG, Big Brother, RRDTool preferred.
- Expert understanding of Ethernet technology, 100BaseT, Gigabit Ethernet, CWDM, DWDM, LAN, WAN network design and an understanding of all OSI layers from application to physical
- Advanced Layer2 experience/knowledge in VLANs, stacked switches, QinQ, dot1q and VLL's
- Thorough understanding of transport protocols including MPLS, VPLS, RPR, SONET and related
- Intimate knowledge of IP Multicast, OSPF, RIP, ISIS, EIGRP, SNMP and BGP
- Experience in design, configuration, implementation, support and operation of ring/mesh/star, high end Layer2 & Layer3 networks
- Experience in optics and optical networking and possesses a demonstrated knowledge of CWDM/DWDM systems, fiber amplifiers, optical components, and associated networking technologies
- Strong Metro Ethernet knowledge including Carrier Ethernet, QOS, COS, OAM, CIR, EVC, EPL, EVPL, E-Line, E-LAN, E-Tree, Etc.
- Working knowledge and experience with HFC infrastructure with emphasis on CMTS and DOCSIS
- Experienced and knowledgeable in network incident isolation and troubleshooting techniques including network troubleshooting tools including OTDR, OSA, Ethernet/TDM Meter, RF Meter, Multimeter
- Advanced understanding of OSPF, BGP and detail leveled routing
- Complete understanding of CIDR, IP Subnetting, ASN and ARIN allocations
- Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience with digital video processing, Edge QAM and other Interactive Network devices.
- Experience with EAS/EAN delivery systems and integration of the alerts.
- Experience with ad insertion standards, channel insertion practices and add/drop/multiplex of signals in multi technique topologies
- Understanding of compression techniques, MPEG2 and 4 standards based HD and SD signals, multi-screen environments and wireless technologies.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or equivalent training, education and experience.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and safe driving history.
Controlling Establishment ID
00250 - Austin 11921 MoPac
Time Warner Cable - 24 months ago
Time Warner Cable (TWC) makes coaxial quiver. The company is the #2 US cable company, after Comcast, with operations in 28 states. Its core...