• Lead negotiations with suppliers, secure signed agreements and achieve increase n vendor funding and systemically reduce costs to SSI through supplier management of costs.
• Develop a comprehensive customer centric product and service portfolio for category (proprietary and national brand).
• Develop targeted growth strategies for category by customer segment and geographic requirements
• Manage and develop merchant team and prepare them for advancement within the Educational Resources group.
• Develop and direct supply chain performance enhancements through collaboration with internal (replenishment and logistics) and external (suppliers and third party logistics) partners to reduce expenses linked to our supply chain activities.
• Monitor and take aggressive steps to systemically reduce our inventory carrying costs.
• Develops long term strategic plan for category including financial forecasts and external market growth projections.
• Develop category budget and participate in division budget planning and review
• Maintain financial performance spreadsheets and distribute category financial performance reporting on a regular basis by subcategory as compare to plan, budget, and prior year.
• Develop, manage and implement item level collaborative planning and forecasting along merchandising guidelines.
• Lead team in lean processes designed to reduce waste and standardize merchandising processes. Actively participate in lean activities and insure that standard processes are followed and improved.
• Conduct ongoing customer contact and competitive analysis for category by customer segment and geographic area.
• Direct target marketing and merchandising strategy for category through catalogs, online and local marketing activities.
• Establish item and market basket pricing strategy for category, forecast performance and analyze results to plan/forecast.
• Lead team in development of marketing efforts, including participation in the design and proofing of print and web marketing targeting customers
• Maintains safe and healthful working conditions within stewardship by ensuring all associates comply with company safety policies and procedures
• Bachelor’s degree in business or marketing or 5+ years of merchandising experience managing categories greater than $50M; MBA a plus.
• Minimum five years experience managing a merchandising team in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
• Demonstrated experience in developing category merchandising plans
• Demonstrated experience in supply chain dynamics and vendor negotiations
• Strong business analysis skills
• Strong communication and presentation skills
• Proven leadership skills and interpersonal skills
• Ability to prioritize and multi-task
• Training in LEAN principles or participation in LEAN events a plus.
School Specialty won't carry your books to school, but it will deliver nearly everything else. A leading distributor of school supplies...